Harley Davidson MT350

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by ExScaleyBleep, Nov 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just blagged this website from another link on this forum...

Thinking about getting a scrambler/runabout/winter hack and seeing that its a good ole' Harley and its ex mil (so Im presuming reasonably well looked after by the LAD etc) Im thinking on buying one...

Anyone ever rode one, had one, used one, swore at one etc ? Any info and tips on maintenance etc would be useful....
  2. 350? Weren't they Armstrong MT500's?

I know Harley took over Armstrong, but why the smaller engine?
  3. Might be worth going to the Stoneleigh militaria show, they usually have a selection in various conditions. usually pretty easy to pick up a service manual for one too.
  4. Harley Davidson took over the contract, they still use a Rotax engine, but with an Electric Start fitted. Cant remember the ins and outs of it.
    (Anyone remember how much fun a 500cc single was to kick over with a left hand kickstart?)

Try this link
  5. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Don't KTM own Rotax now?
  6. cool cheers guys.. Stuart666 I'll google that show youre on about and have a look at it when I get home.. may be worth a visit as you say... so anybody actually ever ride one of these things then ? What were they like ?
  7. Sorry ESB,didnt see your post at first.
    Having had a bit of experience with these things, my advise is AVOID!
    A Suzuki Dr 350 is a much more capable bet and will be easier to work on, more reliable and lots, lots lighter!

Try this link, http://www.realclassic.co.uk/snarley030407.html
  8. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

Very very heavy
  9. Theyre slow, heavy and handle like a barge.

Cross country theyre heavier, slower and handle like a Massey Ferguson Combine Harvester

They are relatively cheap to run and service but make sure you give it a really good checkover before you buy. Exhausts crack easily, frames bend easily, gearboxes can become clunky relatively easily and engines arent really that bulletproof.

Did anyone mention how fekkin' heavy they are? :?
  10. Cheers Kurgen... still debating about what to get... scrambler or something like an old Bandit ... Hmmm decisions decisions ! lol !
  11. ESB
    How far are you planning on riding, on what roads?
    Bandit would be great for A roads M Ways, Little dirt digger , more fun, less fragile if dropped, great for playing silly beggars on, but a pain on faster roads.
    Hope your fillings are ok or they could vibrate out!
  12. I have rode one it was shoite,heavy and slow if I remember was the gear lever on the wrong side ? ! Concur with the Suzuki DR or even a Yamaha XT or Kawa KMX much safer bet! But I'm a Honda bloke (Fireblade) so it would have to be an XR or if you want to die quickly a CRF on road grey import !
  13. Hello,

I have often wondered how Harley Davidson managed to get this contract.
    This is one of those areas where military equipment does not differ greatly from civilian equipment.
    There are lots of reputable civilian suppliers of off road motorcycles and Harley Davidson is not one of them.

14. aren't the plastic bits the only "harley" bit?
  15. ermmmmm nope never ever at all get a klx650 if want some half decent off and on road or a tdm850 if want on road or loads of other options £1100 for a large green heavy weight though never :? :? :? :? :? :?