Harley Davidson MT350

Just blagged this website from another link on this forum...

http://www.witham-sv.com/infopage.php?ID=936&Overide=1

Thinking about getting a scrambler/runabout/winter hack and seeing that its a good ole' Harley and its ex mil (so Im presuming reasonably well looked after by the LAD etc) Im thinking on buying one...

Anyone ever rode one, had one, used one, swore at one etc ? Any info and tips on maintenance etc would be useful....

350? Weren't they Armstrong MT500's?

I know Harley took over Armstrong, but why the smaller engine?

ExScaleyBleep said:

Thinking about getting a scrambler/runabout/winter hack and seeing that its a good ole' Harley and its ex mil (so Im presuming reasonably well looked after by the LAD etc) Im thinking on buying one...

Anyone ever rode one, had one, used one, swore at one etc ? Any info and tips on maintenance etc would be useful....
Might be worth going to the Stoneleigh militaria show, they usually have a selection in various conditions. usually pretty easy to pick up a service manual for one too.

Harley Davidson took over the contract, they still use a Rotax engine, but with an Electric Start fitted. Cant remember the ins and outs of it.
(Anyone remember how much fun a 500cc single was to kick over with a left hand kickstart?)
http://www.motorcycle.co.uk/Armstrong-MT500-MT350/index.html

Try this link

Alsacien

MIA
The_Kurgen said:
Harley Davidson took over the contract, they still use a Rotax engine, but with an Electric Start fitted. Cant remember the ins and outs of it.
(Anyone remember how much fun a 500cc single was to kick over with a left hand kickstart?)
Don't KTM own Rotax now?

cool cheers guys.. Stuart666 I'll google that show youre on about and have a look at it when I get home.. may be worth a visit as you say... so anybody actually ever ride one of these things then ? What were they like ?

ExScaleyBleep said:

Sorry ESB,didnt see your post at first.
Having had a bit of experience with these things, my advise is AVOID!
A Suzuki Dr 350 is a much more capable bet and will be easier to work on, more reliable and lots, lots lighter!

Try this link, http://www.realclassic.co.uk/snarley030407.html

Theyre slow, heavy and handle like a barge.

Cross country theyre heavier, slower and handle like a Massey Ferguson Combine Harvester

They are relatively cheap to run and service but make sure you give it a really good checkover before you buy. Exhausts crack easily, frames bend easily, gearboxes can become clunky relatively easily and engines arent really that bulletproof.

Did anyone mention how fekkin' heavy they are? :?

Cheers Kurgen... still debating about what to get... scrambler or something like an old Bandit ... Hmmm decisions decisions ! lol !

ESB
How far are you planning on riding, on what roads?
Bandit would be great for A roads M Ways, Little dirt digger , more fun, less fragile if dropped, great for playing silly beggars on, but a pain on faster roads.
Hope your fillings are ok or they could vibrate out!

I have rode one it was shoite,heavy and slow if I remember was the gear lever on the wrong side ? ! Concur with the Suzuki DR or even a Yamaha XT or Kawa KMX much safer bet! But I'm a Honda bloke (Fireblade) so it would have to be an XR or if you want to die quickly a CRF on road grey import !

Hello,

I have often wondered how Harley Davidson managed to get this contract.
This is one of those areas where military equipment does not differ greatly from civilian equipment.
There are lots of reputable civilian suppliers of off road motorcycles and Harley Davidson is not one of them.

tangosix.

ermmmmm nope never ever at all get a klx650 if want some half decent off and on road or a tdm850 if want on road or loads of other options £1100 for a large green heavy weight though never :? :? :? :? :? :?

tangosix said:
Hello,

I have often wondered how Harley Davidson managed to get this contract.
This is one of those areas where military equipment does not differ greatly from civilian equipment.
There are lots of reputable civilian suppliers of off road motorcycles and Harley Davidson is not one of them.

tangosix.
I did read somewhere (and it may be utter balls) that it was something to do with a common NATO contract, and the Yanks wouldnt get involved unless they got the contract to build it. Or something like that. I do know that when the military contract was completed they built several thousand I think for the American market, no idea if they are any better.

ESB, the Stoneleigh site is here

http://www.militariashows.com/

They are primarily militaria (ususally ww2) but they usually have a good cold war selection of bits and pieces there. Im pretty sure ive seen Armstrongs as well as Harleys there in the pasts, so at the very least should give you a chance to look one over. Withams will be there as well, they usually bring a Sabre with them. :roll:

Yes they're heavy
The engine is 350
The suspension is an imrovement over the Armstrong (ohlins)
The cam belts and pulleys need tlc (your average operator didn't have a clue)
The carb is a shite harley vacuum type pish (change it)
The standard disc pads are road compound and disappear off road (fit sintered)
Handlebars are crap
Handlegrips are larger than normal and cause fatigue when riding cross country
It lacks top end

But apart from that 8O it pulls up hills well off road with its torqy bottom end and the engine doesn't destroy itself if the belt goes, can be reliable if looked after, but don't expect it to be a motocross machine, I raced them for a long time and had a laugh, Ive used them to instruct people on courses with success as well as doing daft things on them.

Like someone said if you want a nice reliable and BETTER bike look at the dr350 for entry level or the yam wr250/400/426 if you are looking at more serious off road. I have experience of the brutes so pm me if you have any bone questions 8)

Do a google search for MT riders club that covers all 500/350's and some good advice on there.

Better still get a 500 and fit a Hyd front disk brake set up, swap carb from shoite amal to a 34/36mm dellorto and a new 670 cam shaft and you will have a pretty fast bike also KTM engines will fit in so a full 670 engine would bolt in and as for the bars easily swapped for some renthal ones :D

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
geezer466 The NAAFI Bar 5
happybonzo Miscellaneous Jokes 0
commzmeanzbombz Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs 17