Hare of the Dog???

Somebody gave me a FOB bunny the other day. I've ripped it's fur coat off and taken all the inside bits out of it. What should I do with it now?

It's lying in the kitchen at the moment like a naked headless greyhound ... it's starting to scare me ...

In the NAAFI so as I can have sensible answers and daft ones.

BTW ... it no longer has genitalia.

Fcuk it and eat it.

Chop it up and make a stew, just treat it as you would a nice chicken

Dice it and put it in a pie!!

tropper66 said:
Chop it up and make a stew, just treat it as you would a nice chicken
Good idea, lube it with butter then fcek the neck hole.

Fallschirmjager said:
tropper66 said:
just treat it as you would a nice chicken
What? Bum it senseless then set it alight?
I'm Welsh, I only do that to spring lambs

Make sure there is enough liquid or use a bit of streaky bacon with it as it can go very dry as it is an extremely lean meat.

mysteron

LE
Book Reviewer
Take it to work and place in the drawers (read that as you will) of most squeamish woman there and then use the ice cold glare to freeze it for use after Christmas as an alternative to Turkey.

Simples!

recipe suggestion would be along the lines of the Hugh eats-Ferns-and-little-things rabbit curry.

Rabbit Casserole
1 rabbit
a couple of rashers of smoked streaky bacon
onion whole small are best about 12
2 sticks celery
1 red pepper
150 mil chicken stock
15 mil olive oil
white wine, 1/2 glass
some rosemary

chop rabbit and coat in seasoned flour fry with bacon and transfer to casserole
fry onions in same panadding peppers and celery
chuck it all in the pot add stock and wine, herbs
cook for 1, 1 1/2 hours

slow cook it in a casserole. I believe red wine works

I hope you've kept the skin and heed for a sock puppet (so you'll have someone to talk to)

You might want to try the trout down there as well, if poachings your thing

BTW this is not your run of the mill bunny but a FOB Falkland hare ... somebody told me they are tough b@stards and need to be slow cooked for about a month?

k13eod said:
I've been in the Falklands for 6 weeks now so might be inclined to some form of bunny love before cooking ...
the birds I knew at Bertha's beach, good grader drivers though

Attachments

k13eod said:
BTW this is not your run of the mill bunny but a FOB Falkland hare ... somebody told me they are tough b@stards and need to be slow cooked for about a month?
I seem to recall there is an outer membrane on the meat of a hare which is not present on a rabbit, rampant or otherwise. I was told to peel this off and the meat is as tender as rabbit.

He seemed to know what he was on about. ??? :?

k13eod said:
Giving it a good seeing to might tenderise it a bit.
If not use the fur as a w@nk sock.

To prepare.
Take off all four legs at their joints, (Hips and shoulders), chop remaining body into two across the back and then hlve that down the back bone if you want 8 portions.

marinade in red wine, obtained from the West Store, I think it is called Tinta Negra, (Cheap South American plonk), leave to fester overnight at least in the fridge.

Remove portions seal in hot oil, add onions and carrots, cover with marinade and add water if necesary, salt and pepper. Cover and put in oven set at 150 degrees for about an hour then turn oven down and cook until tender.

As you have been down there 6 weeks did you manage to try the penguin eggs, they are very tasty and unusual, (when cooked the white of the egg stays transluscent (see through)

Oh serve the hare with potatoes and green veg. You should thicken the sauce with the hare blood but, I don't suppose you kept that, did you?

If you cook it really slowly I'm coming down for two weeks in February, I'll bring a bottle and watch you eating it.................

Hare cook as rabbit but very slowly triple the time scale, try dildo bush berries they make a great sauce to go with it just boil them until jamlike with some sugar, christ i'm dribbling

Some other Falklands birds, shortly before I shot and cooked them

Attachments