Hard up LAWYERS?!!! :-O

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by chocolate_frog, Jun 6, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Front page of Guardian today and on the BBC Breakfast News. Lawyers and Barristers may strike due to low wages when conducting defence or prosecution of legal aid cases.

Are they having a laugh? Low paid lawyers? Is that like a low paid merchant banker?

Would a strike really affect anyone except the chavs the courts will be unable to give minimum sentances/ASBOs to?

Perhaps if they strike they could call in the Army!!! Like in the ambulance/bin and fire strikes :D

"Your honour, chocolate frog defending Mr Chav. He blatently needs locking up, he did indeed steal the car and burn it after hitting a toddler on the park swings. His defence relys soley on the fact that he was as high as kite on glue at the time. Defence rests"

Seriously though low paid?

It isn't April 1st is it?
  2. Yes please.
    Ah Wheel the guilt B'stard in Kunstable Plod.
    Chav eh ?
    Flogging two dozen well laid on.
    Carry on

Post flogging
    Apeal Innocent ?
    Another 2 dozen for wasting courts time Carry on.
    Well I can dream.
  3. This is a bit of a red herring.

Yes, lots of lawyers (particularly solicitor-advocates and barristers) are extremely well paid. OTOH, lots of high-street solicitors and their agents (i.e. the numpties they send out to police stations at 2AM) are on far more modest salaries. As are many CPS staff.

CPS staff prosecute. One of the many reasons they aren't particularly good at it is because the salaries offered aren't even remotely competitive compared to defending human rights cases at Trendy, Smug and Wealthy, or doing re-insurance at Humbug, B'Stard and Arrogant.

So the legal eagles don't join the CPS. They should get a bit more dough, especially prosecutors, just to satisfy the laws of supply and demand.

I've no sympathy for the criminal defence industry, nor defence solicitors however. All that's happening is a tightening of the rampant legal aid abuse tricks that they frequently play (oooh, lets spin this one out another month...). A defendant has more money spent on his defence than the prosecution has available.

Almost every profession in the UK has had the government come in and regulate it to buggery. The exceptions seems to remain the Media and Law, but given the preponderance of politicos in these professions I suppose it's no real surprise.

4. So they want us to pay 2nd rate lawyers more money because they are too sh1t to do the job anywhere else?

Not to mention the fact that they have regularly abused the system to earn more cash for themselves by dragging out the job? There's another bunch of professionals who do that...cowboy builders.

Sorry, no sympathy here. Better idea. The government pays for the Law degree in total, with no comeback. Then all lawyers have to work legal aid for free. No more drawn out cases. Everyones a winner.

Or let them strike and bring back the ducking stool!!!!

Chav drowns, they were guilty.

Chav lives...............................WITCH!!!! Burn them!!!!!! WITCH!!!!!!!
  5. Just apply this argument to the Army. They may not get the cream of the crop, they have limited resources for training those they do get and have little kudos or respect. However, when it is their turn to appear on the battlefield and fight - they are very good at it. Bigger challenge than dealing with some Lucy Lastic tart nicking nappies.
  6. Perhaps, but like I say it's down to supply and demand. "X" amount of young legal professionals qualify every year. A tiny percentage of the most talented go into the CPS, the rest into the private sector (where, incidentally, the defence side of things lives).

1. Privatise the CPS and assign briefs to private companies to prosecute. I prefer this as it levels the playing field, reduces bureaucracy and annoys the New Labour legal establishment.

2. Pay CPS prosecutors more to level the playing field.

3. Bring in a total police state with me as Generalissimo, dispensing arbitrary martial law and ruling with a fist of steel (ouch!). Obviously, this is the most preferable, but least likely, scenario.

Comparing the army to the legal profession is a bit apples and oranges, really, isn't it? Although I'm all for putting aspirant CPS lawyers through gruelling military training just for a bit of a laugh.

7. In this case it is almost the same. As OldRedCap says, we don't get the best. Many go to the private sector either instead of or after service with the military. Officers and Soldiers alike. We don't get paid as much as civialian counterparts in the main, although we do get fringe benefits, but we do a top job.

CPS on the other hand are useless.

Like I say, give them the law degree for free but in return they work for free. If they win they get a bonus, regardless of if they were defence or offence. If they quit before a suitable time or decide they don't want to work in British courts for free before a certain time, then they pay for their degree in full.

If they weren't always chasing ambulances they might get some proper cases, where they are likely to get paid.

You've seen the advert.

Some stupid gimp saying "I was walking along and fell over a piece of wood that shouldn't have been there. It was 6ft long, 4ft high and 6ft wide, and had been there for weeks, in fact I may have put it there. Anyway I won 50p and the lawyers managed to get all their costs and expenses including nights in 5* hotels and helicopter rides. My dads business went down the pan after that"

There was a reason claims direct went to the wall, and the owners made a mint.
  8. You have evidence to support this statement? :?:
  9. Yes, they failed to get me sent down for a number of crimes. :twisted:
  10. I wouldn't say they were useless, just average-to-not-very-good. Like all civil servants they slavishly adhere to their call-centre stylee flow chart when making "decisions" and are experts at Little Britain-esque "Computer says No" syndrome.

Their section that deals with very serious cases, however, is pretty switched on. "Routine" matters aren't very well dealt with, and like many of my colleagues, I've yet to be convinced by the "Plastic District Attorney" role they seem to be trying to make for themselves. That their boss is one of Cherie's old lefty mates from Matrix doesn't really make me feel any better about them, either.

It's like the NHS: if you've got a brain tumour or a very sick baby then they are extremely good. If you've got a busted ankle of a Saturday afternoon they are fairly terrible.

11. I think theyre all gorgeous and really good! :lol:
  12. Being a lawyer, regardless of their area of expertise, is a licence to print money. I am buying a house at the moment, and therefore needed to engage the services of one of these licenced bandits. They wanted over £100 just to take on my job!, then there is the matter of taking nearly £2000 in total to complete the job!, fortunately the builders are paying a large chunk of that and most of the remainder of the bill is taken up in the total money being transfered. For £2000 ish they will stamp a piece of paper, ring up a mate (another lawyer) and arrange a transfer of mortgage company money, and they will print off a copy of a standard contract for me and the builders to sign! I could do all that myelf in 10 minutes, just give me the Law degree!
  13. can people no longer do their conveyancing themselves? I didn't realise it had been made illegal. You don't need a law degree you can get a book from the library if it is still allowed.
  14. ^ There is absolutely nothing to stop you doing the conveyancing yourself. DIY kits are available and I encourage people to explore this option.

15. You can find the original story on the BBC HERE.

Of particular interest is this:

Bear in mind, these are for LEGAL AID cases only. Top silks will be charging far more than that for private clients and will do only limited LA work. In much the same way that top consultants do the bare minimum NHS work.

Still not a bad whack.

The other issue to bear in mind is that criminal law has always been, for some reason, the most poorly paid. Business, Re-Insurance, Employment and Family law are all far more lucrative, if not as glamourous as doing the business at the Old Bailey.

Luckily I have my own legal defence arrangements should I ever require them, via my staff association and private insurance. Only a matter of time before military personnel are offered private legal cover that gives them top-level defence in case of a politically-motivated apres-shooting investigation.