Hard-up hero forced to sell medal.

In today's Sun newpaper an article about a ex-soldier having to sell his campaign medal so he can buy presents for his kids. He only got £200 for it.It is a shame that any ex-forces personnel have to sell their campaign medals.

In today's Sun newpaper an article about a ex-soldier having to sell his campaign medal so he can buy presents for his kids. He only got £200 for it.It is a shame that any ex-forces personnel have to sell their campaign medals.
Its an outrage. Why doesnt the taxpayers have a seperate fund for veterans so they can buy lifes essentials such as christmas presents?

Its an outrage. Why doesnt the taxpayers have a seperate fund for veterans so they can buy lifes essentials such as christmas presents?
Maybe that's why we need a named NDM - so when people are skint, they can sell it for pressies!

He should count himself lucky he got a campain medal to sell, rather than just a lot of UN & NATO medals from the 90's - UN Bosnia, NATO Former Yugoslavia & NATO Kosovo & QGJM with the paperwork would be lucky to bag you about £100.

Edited: Bit of a shame though really - I've seen the Iraq medal go for £300, might have got his kds a PS3!

No one forced him to sell it. He should manage his monetary affairs a little better. There are hundreds of thousands who are just as hard up.

The pikey *****.

I'm so glad I'm loaded.

Looking at the Scottish Sun link - his face has been blurred out. poor **** can't even afford a roll of black maskers...

I wonder if he knows anything about balconies?

I think its more sad buying the medal than crying to the sun about selling one..
Depends why you buy it - Some people collect the various medals and only want to have issued ones. Other people start off with good intentions, but don't really realise how much a proffessional Walt has to spend to fund his lifestyle.

I am amazed at how much people are willing to pay for medals - I had mine remounted recently, and the guy doing the remounting tried to get me to sell them through him on the grounds that I have a relatively uncommon combination of awards / inscriptions (according to him), and reckoned I could be looking at a fairly substantial sum of money for what is to me at least a fairly standard set of medals.

I pray that I never find myself in that position, but I have little sympathy for the soldier in question.

Latest Threads