Hard sums: can we train enough soldiers to reach the 30,000 target?

L

Loggie 918

In effect, you are both talking about the power of branding. The Rifles, strong brand, attracts quality staff and has good recruiting Loggies, weaker brand, attracts weaker staff and has less than stellar recruiting. I don't wan tot get drawn in to an argument about the truth in that statement ; I am commenting on market forces at work, not the merits or otherwise of different units.

I can't help but conclude that the only way the Army is going to hit 30000 reservists is to lever the strong brands to the advantage of the weaker ones. And, if a Loggie 918 says the SCOTS are ******, then focus on sorting that image out.

I don't think the Army has a clue about branding or how powerful some of its brands are.

I suppose the only challenge with this idea (although I like it) is that the army has balanced the reservist trades/PIDs as part of the flawless master plan to maintain certain capabilities for times of crisis.

I suppose the only challenge with this idea (although I like it) is that the army has balanced the reservist trades/PIDs as part of the flawless master plan to maintain certain capabilities for times of crisis.
Which was why I said "levering the strong brands to the advantage of the weaker ones" and didn't suggest focussing the Reserve on the strong brands. I don't pretend to have much idea how that could be done, but I suspect there are plenty of people serving in units now who do have good, innovative ideas.

One thing for sure, it isn't an issue that is likely to be solved by passing it up and down a hierarchal chain of command. It needs ownership, proper brainstorming and action. Easier to blame Capita I guess....

B

bokkatankie

One of the great things about the Army is how it actually destroys its own internal brands. There is much to be learnt from the RAF PR machine in this respect!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...p-Hammond-dismisses-fears-over-Army-cuts.html
Huzzah, Its alright then. I rather think the Honourable Member will be out of the hot seat and in the Lords by then. So what with the UK feel good factor on the up, employment is up and jobs available where are these chaps and chapesses going to be found?

I do hope his risk gap of three years between the culls of the Army, to be completed by 2015, and the appearance of the 30,000 wunderkinder for 2018 doesn't come back to bite him!

29 YEARS IN

Swinger
Hard sums.....Just a thought.....CAPITA get £ *** million over 10 years....OP Fortify started Sept 2013.

So... This unit has 4 locations each with 3 x ADC recruiters contracted for 3 days a week

Lets average the daily rate of pay as @ £65 (includes Pte / JNCO's)

4 locs x 3 recuiters = 12 x 3 days = 36 days week x £65 = £2,340 per week x 40 weeks over the year = £93,600

So for 40 weeks extra recruiting = £93,600 if this rate continues till 2020 which is 6 years away

£93,600 x 6 yrs = £561,600 cost in MTD's for 1 Unit over a 6 year period.

Now multiply that by the reserve units in a geographical location eg: London @ 26 Reserve Units for 6 year and assuming they have approx 12 recruiters on the job, we get

£561,600 x 26 units = £14,601,600 (How many reserve units are therel?)

Now may be its just me and I have oversimplified things but that looks a little expensive to me, and when you hear of a regiment with 33 individuals on either ADC or MTDs or both, that gets really frightening.

I ain't no mathematician and the figures are approximates but if someone wanted to do the maths properly, I wonder who would be man enough to stand up and put his or her pension on the line. ??

Last edited:

Latest Threads