hard drive technical question

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Grumblegrunt, Feb 7, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

need a second opinion.

received an external hard drive from my brother in need of sorting. totally dead so I removed the tvs diodes and it spins again to get his data off.

I'm aware that the drive is now without overvoltage protection so the controller can now freely pop. so is it safer going back into a drive case or should I stick it in a desktop to use as a spare?

electronics isn't my strongest point so I shan't be trying to replace the diodes.

2. bung it in your desktop

3. msr

msr LE

Smash it up and buy a new one. No point arrsing about for the sake of a few quid.

• Like Like x 1
  4. This.

A 1Tb SATA II is sixty quid and some change in Maplin and you can do it cheaper. At that it barely seems worth it.

If you insist though, I'd keep it external. I'd rather pop a USB controller than a SATA one.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Grumblegrunt

I was just going to use it to archive a bucket full of tv shows or use it to help me rearrange the 8tb I've got in NAS and RAID, its 2tb SATA so usefull enough.

6. Replace the Diodes?.

7. No loss then. I've about a dozen old IDE that I use in a caddy. Full of game images and film/TV they live on the floor of my "boys room" and seem to survive!

8. Grumblegrunt

the drive didn't fail the power supply did, knowing him he used his laptop one instead so pumped 19v through it. its not an old drive so in theory could plod on forever if left on. most drives fail if powered up and down too fast, I have some digibox recorders which reboot twice a night which stresses the capacitors and causes them to fail taking the drive with it, aging power supplies not giving enough current usually does the rest.

what I like to do is dump the loose data off my laptops into one drive to sort it all out then sync it back so I have a proper duplicate. leaving the big drive as a third copy so I can access it from on of the other machines if necessary. I dont however do that as often as I maybe should. but usually its external drives which die especially usb powered ones where windows dicks with the hardware or it takes power from a single usb socket.

the NAS are full of media so I can download it - send to a NAS then watch on the telly. as I usually download 1-2gb a week of tv shows we don't get or are behind on plus a few movies its easy to fill em up. there's a 178gb file of old horizons I fancy downloading.