Hard-drive Backup Software

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by cupoftea, Jun 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all,

Wondering if any of you knowledgeable chaps could help me...

Are there any free pieces of backup software out there?

All I want it to do is to automatically update just a few folders in my auxiliary drive so that they mirror those same folders in my main drive.
  2. Dunno about Freeware, but there are usually some pretty good full commercial products on cover-mounted DVDs with mags like PC Advisor. You'll pay a fiver for the mag (unless your local library, like mine, has them on the shelf) but its a cheap option.
  3. I lack the patience to untangle a Win ball of string at the moment... I think I'll look into freeware on the internet or my local library.

Thanks for your replies gents.
  4. My preferred poison is Acronis at home since Ghost hasn't coped too well with Vista and early days of Win7
  5. Acronis stuff is generally good, as is Paragon - both are frequently featured on cover CDs/DVDs, as above.

I won't touch McAfee or Norton these days - over priced, too big, very intrusive, often damaging . . . y'know the form
  6. msr

msr LE

Try syncback SE

becareful of acronis and ghost versions some new versions will not recognise older versions images of hard drives.

or another road to go down would be raid 1 Mirroring
  8. msr

msr LE

Please stay away from this forum, your advice is not useful.

9. Just corrected your wee typo there msr.
  10. Downloaded it and its only free for 30 days so I shall continue the search for a some simple freeware. Thanks for your suggestion though - do you think I'm likely to find this sort of thing for free? It is after all a very very simple task...
  11. msr

msr LE

Try this: SyncBack Freeware V3.2.21

12. Flid.

One that I have used in the past, which isn't free, but very cheap, is 2nd Copy. Very easy to use, multiple profiles/data streams etc.

My old boss could use it, so it has to be mong proof.

13. After several years of messing around with Ghost, Acronis etc, I seem to have settled on this: http://www.gfi.com/backup-hm

Its free, simple to use and does the job.