Hard Disk Failure

Hi all,

I have had a mare with my HDD today, I think it's a firmware corruption of some kind as the disk spins up fine and sounds mechanically true but the pc hangs on post and on entering the BIOS the disk isn't recognised.

What do you all think? Firmware corruption or something else?

Also can anyone point me in the direction of a decent outfit to repair it as theres more stuff on there than I care to lose! and of course how much does a usual repair cost?

Thanks all.

JN

Plus some advice from Intel

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-010355.htm

No doubt some of the techies will turn up in a min to gove you some proper advice but recovery using professionals is going to be very expensive.

I suppose its too late to discuss the value of backups (sorry)

One thing I did manage to do when I had a similar problem was get another hard drive with exactly the same firmware and swap the boards, worked a treat but I think I was at the lucky end of the scale

JimmyNeutron said:
and of course how much does a usual repair cost?
A lot more than a good backup ;)

Try the HDD in another machine.

msr

as with msr's suggestion, use it as a slave on another computer system to see if any data can be recovered to another hard disk

Same error on different PC. All attached, drive spins, no HDD found! Bugger!

Although it does prove my new motherboard is ok!

I have been reading up on this problem as it has happened to me, if the BIOS on the HDD has gone you can either send it off for recovery or buy another HDD of same make and type, remove the card on the bottom of the new drive and exchange it for the one on the duff drive. Recover your data to a good drive and if successful return the cards to the rightful drive, chuck the duff drive. You will have to look at which recovery idea is the least expensive and also do you wish someone looking at your data.

Jim

dont use it as the main hard disk on ur our system as it will have different components ie motherboard and other hardware to deal with on boot up, which its configured to ur other machine, change the jumpers and use it as a second hard drive configuring it on the second machines bios as a slave to the first hard drive

The Sailor said:
I have been reading up on this problem as it has happened to me, if the BIOS on the HDD has gone you can either send it off for recovery or buy another HDD of same make and type, remove the card on the bottom of the new drive and exchange it for the one on the duff drive. Recover your data to a good drive and if successful return the cards to the rightful drive, chuck the duff drive. You will have to look at which recovery idea is the least expensive and also do you wish someone looking at your data.

Jim
Mate, thats brilliant. I had thought of doing that but didnt think it would work. Have you tried this?

Im not fussed about someone looking at the data on there as there isnt (much) dodgy and nothing illegal!

The Sailor said:

Jim
The last HDD I sent of for data recovery cost £700, they got all the users data back though.

Fecking Microsoft. Now my XP drive in the PC is giving it the "due to significant hardware changes on this PC you are no longer licensed." arrseholes I only took out the faulty drive and a DVD ROM! Grrrr.

I tried the old 'swap the board on the HDD' trick and it worked a treat but you have to match the BIOS firmware exactly.

On a portable drive I dropped that was proper fcuked I used Stellar Pheonix and it got about 95% of the drive back, it took 5 continuous days to do its stuff but it did it.

http://www.stellarinfo.com/disk-recovery.htm

Since then I have been mental about backups and have everything backed up to different hard drives, DVD's at my mothers house and I also use an online service that backs up overnight to an online file store. I use Mozy but there are a few more. Portable hard drives are good value these days and often come with backup software.

MOZY

Mozy - Daft name but they are owned by EMC who are big into enterprise backup and you even get 2Gb storage for absolutely free, the software can backup any files, Outlook databases etc

CLICK HERE FOR THE FREE VERSION

Even the unlimited version isn't that much, its as a good investment as you will ever make

There are other options;

Box.net
Elephant Drive
Carbonite
Diino

Good luck