Hard Disk Failure

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by JimmyNeutron, Jan 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I have had a mare with my HDD today, I think it's a firmware corruption of some kind as the disk spins up fine and sounds mechanically true but the pc hangs on post and on entering the BIOS the disk isn't recognised.

What do you all think? Firmware corruption or something else?

Also can anyone point me in the direction of a decent outfit to repair it as theres more stuff on there than I care to lose! and of course how much does a usual repair cost?

Thanks all.

JN

2. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

[​IMG]

Plus some advice from Intel

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-010355.htm

No doubt some of the techies will turn up in a min to gove you some proper advice but recovery using professionals is going to be very expensive.

I suppose its too late to discuss the value of backups (sorry)

One thing I did manage to do when I had a similar problem was get another hard drive with exactly the same firmware and swap the boards, worked a treat but I think I was at the lucky end of the scale

3. msr

msr LE

A lot more than a good backup ;)

Try the HDD in another machine.

msr

4. Nice diagram Meridian. Thanks for that.

Backups? What are they? ;-)

5. Trying on my spare pc now. I'll let you know how i get on. :)

6. as with msr's suggestion, use it as a slave on another computer system to see if any data can be recovered to another hard disk

7. Same error on different PC. All attached, drive spins, no HDD found! Bugger!

Although it does prove my new motherboard is ok!

8. I have been reading up on this problem as it has happened to me, if the BIOS on the HDD has gone you can either send it off for recovery or buy another HDD of same make and type, remove the card on the bottom of the new drive and exchange it for the one on the duff drive. Recover your data to a good drive and if successful return the cards to the rightful drive, chuck the duff drive. You will have to look at which recovery idea is the least expensive and also do you wish someone looking at your data.

Jim

9. dont use it as the main hard disk on ur our system as it will have different components ie motherboard and other hardware to deal with on boot up, which its configured to ur other machine, change the jumpers and use it as a second hard drive configuring it on the second machines bios as a slave to the first hard drive

10. Mate, thats brilliant. I had thought of doing that but didnt think it would work. Have you tried this?

Im not fussed about someone looking at the data on there as there isnt (much) dodgy and nothing illegal!

11. Understood. I'll give that a go. Don't think it would matter anyway as it isnt seen in the BIOS.

12. The last HDD I sent of for data recovery cost £700, they got all the users data back though.

13. £700? What had happened to it?