Harbour areas

Can anyone help me ref Harbour drills, when laying the perimeter wire what height should it be in daytime and night time?
Thanks in advance

It is critical that it is laid (at whatever time) so that as many people as possible:

trip over it
become entangled in it
lose it

Also a really good soldier finishes the job off by putting at least 20% of the line length through some form of hazard eg, nettles, gorse, thistles or thorns.

Regards

ss

PS Just thought of another, always vary the height of the line from helmet height to ankle height in as short a distance as possible.

Should you follow these top tips you will immdiately increase your credibility amongst your peers and no doubt impress your Plt Sgt too.

Not quite what I was looking for as Im writing a lesson plan at the minute. But thanks anyway.

I was always taught, during the day it is at ankle/shin height and just before stand to at night it gets raised to waist height.

But at a recent pre-intake PS training day it came out from a couple of the Infantry lads, why bother lowering it, as if the enemy are close enough to see green string inside a wood, your have got a lot more to worry about than how high your string round the track plan is. And to be honest, I’ve got to agree.

Thanks for that mate, cheers

The_Goon said:
In the day it should be at ankle height.
In the night it should be at shoulder height.
Thanks for that, cheers

Father_Gundulph said:
Try dangling coke cans filled with stones and bells on it so you don't lose it...Some top advice if i do say so myself. 8)

F_G (Bonnet)
Nah, go the whole hog and hang cylumes off it! Guaranteed not to lose it then and it'll add a festive feeling to the whole harbour! :lol:

Has anyone got any gucci training aids for a harbour drill they can email me?

• DRAWINGS
    PLANS
    MODELS
    POWER POINT

PM me for my email addy.

Its all that mincing about in the dark I can't stand, so I added a dozen spotlights on twenty foot poles! much better, everyone can see what they are doing, our RSM was so pleased with me he was just speechless and shaking with pride at my ingenuity.....nay! I think I even spotted a small tear of gratitude on his razmans cheek!

It's just so dangerous scrabbling about in the dark....health and safety people per-lease!!

I'm thinking of adding under dirt heating next time for that comfy feel when walking barefoot to the bathroom!

Poole Harbour is the second largest natural harbour area in the world.

I'm not helping so I'll get my coat.... as long as I don't trip over all this green string scattered all over the place...

Who cares really. Just whackit up and if you cant follow it use your torch. Despite what they tell you there are no Russians dug in around Copehill Down

When they told me we'd be doing habour area drills at the weekend I just walked out.If I wanted to mess around in boats I'd have joined the Navy.

Okay it was funny but it wasn't double post funny... Infact it wasn't funny either! Sorry for the confusion