Happy Ypres Day (1915)

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Queensman, Apr 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Greetings to everyone! But especially to all ex Queensman, their forebears and successors, on this the 93rd anniversary of the Batle of Ypres.

2. Second battle...22 April-25 May 1915

3. My Dads regiment (the Lilywhites) and My Great Grandfathers regiment (the Koylis) both have Ypres as battle honours.

4. As above but delete 93rd and insert 98th!

Pristinea Virtutis memor.

5. 100th anniversary of the war and the most important battles coming along soon.

Ypres and Paschenndale are well remembered as is 1st July 1916 probably the worst ever day in the history of the British Army.

As the next few years unravel we will have plenty of opportunity to 'remember them' and rightly so.

Tyne Cot cemetary probably the most serene place I have set foot in on earth.

6. Just came back from there two weeks ago. Very, very moving. Started off at Etaps cemetry. Moving, but I didn't get the enormity of the loss until we started traveling towards the Somme, then it hits you with the cemetries every mile or so. The you see Thiepvil, and then it really hits you.

I have to say though that the Candians seem to take their remembereance a lot more seriously. Vimy Ridge, Beumont Hamel etc were well worth the detour.

• Like Like x 1