Happy Trevithick Day

Happy Trevithick Day from Camborne where we celebrate the Patron Saint of Gricers everywhere by standing in the streets staring in wonderment at horseless carriages while surrounded in clouds of part-burnt coal and steam.

Happy Trevithick Day from Camborne.... ....we celebrate by standing in the streets staring in wonderment at horseless carriages while surrounded in clouds of part-burnt coal and steam.
That sounds like Camborne any day of the week.

Is the replica Road Locomotive making an appearance this year?

Buried in Dartford, I think. I'd call that unlucky.
He is in deed, I've seen the tomb up East Hill cemetary. Conveniently just up the Hill from what used to be the Wat Tyler. and half way up the Malt shovel.
"The dartforians are curious people
They bury their people over the steeple"

How do you MOT that!
Puffing Devil was the one left outside a pub and scared all the locals?
ISTR they had a few problems with licensing etc., but got there in the end. Here it is on You Tube:
Here's my chance to slip in a photo of a Bristol Lodekka, surely the ultimate development of Trevithick's original concept.

Happy Trevithick Day! I'm a hundred yards from the line where the MP Huskisson got trundled to death by Stephenson's Rocket, sadly no celebratory recreations here...

Happy Trevithick Day! I'm a hundred yards from the line where the MP Huskisson got trundled to death by Stephenson's Rocket, sadly no celebratory recreations here...
Shame, I can think of many MPs whose demise under the wheels of a train would do nothing but improve this country.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I wonder did the family and friends of the deceased leave flowers and toy trains at the spot?

Sorry it would have had to been toy Rockets.

Is the song supposed to be about Trevithick's Puffing Billy?
The lyrics might refer to it.
Goin' up Camborne Hill, coming down
The horses stood still;
The wheels went around;
Going up Camborne Hill coming down

White stockings, white stockings she wore (she wore)
White stockings, white stockings she wore
White stockings she wore:
The same as before;

I knowed her old father old man (old man)
I knowed her old father old man
I knowed her old man:
He blawed in the band;

I 'ad 'er, I 'ad 'er, I did
I 'ad 'er, I 'ad 'er, I did
I 'ad 'er, I did:
It cost me a quid

He heaved in the coal, in the steam (the steam)
He heaved in the coal, in the steam
He heaved in the coal:
The steam hit the beam

Oh Please 'ave a baby by me
Oh Please 'ave a baby by me
I'm young and I'm strong:
Won't take very long

The horses stood still;
The wheels went around;

ISTR they had a few problems with licensing etc., but got there in the end. Here it is on You Tube:
Here's my chance to slip in a photo of a Bristol Lodekka, surely the ultimate development of Trevithick's original concept.
I remember seeing Bristol 'bus rolling chassis' being driven around Bristle, sans bodies, can't remember where though, maybe over Keynsham way. That's Keynsham, spelled K-E

Latest Threads