Happy Thanksgiving, Yankee types

In my experience, (some/many/?) USAmericans tend to express belief in, skill in, or enthusiasm for in the same way i.e. like Tom Cruise jumping on a sofa, shouting. "I can do ANYTHING!!" 'No1!No1! No1!" "TOTALLY smashed it" "America! Fcuk yeah!"
whereas if a British person was to say '"Well yes, I'm quite good at" or "pretty good, actually"... a Brit would hear 'they're good at it, maybe very good' an USamerican would hear " well, they're only so-so. if they were great , they'd have shouted it"

In my experience, (some/many/?) USAmericans tend to express belief in, skill in, or enthusiasm for in the same way i.e. like Tom Cruise jumping on a sofa, shouting. "I can do ANYTHING!!" 'No1!No1! No1!" "TOTALLY smashed it" "America! Fcuk yeah!"
whereas if a British person was to say '"Well yes, I'm quite good at" or "pretty good, actually"... a Brit would hear 'they're good at it, maybe very good' an USamerican would hear " well, they're only so-so. if they were great , they'd have shouted it"
So Jonesey saying 'You know nothing, I know everything about X' is not (necessarily!) bulsh1tting or boasting, just being enthusiastic.

People getting louder and shoutier just because they are keen is tiresome. Even Italians take a break

That is also quite applicable between Americans and most of the commonwealth as well, it was one of the first things l noticed when l started working in the US many years ago.

Well this all started with a friendly jab about American pastimes. Frying turkeys, smoking meats, and shooting whisky on Thanksgiving. These are the traditional sort of activities many of us participate in on this sacred day. Unfortunately somebody takes this banter to a new level…Because we have to compete about everything these days.

Last edited:

Allow me (with US passport in pocket and wearing UJ T shirt):

”I can do ANYTHING, Fcuk yeah, I’m really pretty good at BBQing“ :)

Well this all started with a friendly jab about American pastimes. Frying turkeys, smoking meats, and shooting whisky Thanksgiving. These are the traditional sort of activities many of us participate in on this sacred day. Unfortunately somebody takes this banter to a new level…Because we have to compete about everything these days.
Did anything ring true, though?
If I said I was 'quite the shot' at 100yds, would that be good or meh?

I am aware that most of my dealings have been with 'professional'; types (for want of a better word! Jimmy Stewart, for example, didn;t *seem* to be a shouter....)

Did anything ring true, though?
If I said I was 'quite the shot' at 100yds, would that be good or meh?

I am aware that most of my dealings have been with 'professional'; types (for want of a better word! Jimmy Stewart, for example, didn;t *seem* to be a shouter....)
It would depend on what you are shooting at?

My last go round was at 15 feet, 21 feet, 30 feet and 50 feet. I was adequate
F936B6B3-A22A-4120-A7A4-D1C94D8D61B3.jpeg

Smoking meat obviously goes back to somewhere between the Stone Age and the Iron Age, where man discovered the benefits of so doing.

But modern American BBQ is largely down to the UK‘s efforts, however indirectly. The slaves bought from the Africans by the Brits and sold to the Brit settlers in the New World had to eat. They were given the fattier and less desirable cuts of meat, and developed and refined techniques to render the fat out, and sauces to soften the meat. It is no coincidence that the usual cuts for BBQ are ribs, brisket etc. You could perfectly well make BBQ out of T-bone steak, but the slaves obviously never saw that. It’s also no coincidence that the places strongly associated with BBQ (Memphis, St Louis etc) have very large black populations.

I’m white as a milk bottle, but fkn love smoking meats, BBQing of any description in fact. One of my hobbies:

View attachment 618883
The word for and general method of "barbecue" supposedly came from the Caribbean Indians via the Spanish. It wast the traditional cooking method of the Caribbean Indians.

My wife always has to explain to anyone who hasn't known me very long, that, "Not bad, or Fairly decent" is high praise when coming from me.
"Not too shabby" seems to be a variation on that occasionally used in Canada. Using it though might possibly cause people to perceive you as being a bit less sophisticated. That might possibly be a regional expression.

"Not bad" or "not too bad" however can mean many things, all depending on vocal intonation, so it's not as simple as your explanation implies. I've never heard "fairly decent" though used in any sense other than a very positive one.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
I give thanks to the USA because Jaguar XK8s can be had for pocket change :)
and the juice to run them at threepence a quart........

Hope all you Pilgrims have renewed your Gym memberships - or is it just eat, doze, wake, gorge, waddle, sleep till 01 Jan ? :-D

A friend of mine has one of these monsters - please don't get him started on the joys of a 16 lb Turkey.

1612265249-xlegg.jpg

The word “quite” caused some disagreements in our house in the early days of our marriage. If I say “that’s quite good”, I’m lavishing praise on it. If the wife says “quite good” it means room for improvement :)

and the juice to run them at threepence a quart........

Hope all you Pilgrims have renewed your Gym memberships - or is it just eat, doze, wake, gorge, waddle, sleep till 01 Jan ? :-D

A friend of mine has one of these monsters - please don't get him started on the joys of a 16 lb Turkey.

1612265249-xlegg.jpg

One? Is he on welfare or something? :)

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/happy-thanksgiving-yankee-types.307103/post-11139243

As for the gym, there is a bar in our town, somewhat imaginatively called “the Gym” - hence “I’m going to the Gym” :)

Latest Threads