Happy Summer Solstice

No mead again I see.
And what a success that alcohol ban is for English Heritage, numbers down 3,500 on last year to 9,500.
I think it was 2014 when attendance was at its largest of @36,000.

However, lots of yoga, diversity and plastic tourism now in its place.
Given the right sort of punters are paying £60 a head for private access to thrash fat thighs about in yoga pants, I suspect this is far more what English Heritage feel happy (and recompensed) with.

The conditions on which Stonehenge was sold by its owner to the nation are long left in the dust as a patronising charitable sector do their version of proper archeological remembering.

Cnuts

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
I have erected a scale model of Stonehenge in one corner of my field and will be charging a mere £30 for admittance, craft beer will be available at £20 per bottle, tofu and mung bean burgers a snip at only £25 each on artisan baps.

Fat Dave will bring his ice cream van, and for the meat eaters among us we will be able to send out for a MaccyD. Jane from the local yoga fitness group will be doing her class at the local village hall (book early) and the WI will be selling fairy cakes.

I have erected a scale model of Stonehenge in one corner of my field and will be charging a mere £30 for admittance, craft beer will be available at £20 per bottle, tofu and mung bean burgers a snip at only £25 each on artisan baps.

Fat Dave will bring his ice cream van, and for the meat eaters among us we will be able to send out for a MaccyD. Jane from the local yoga fitness group will be doing her class at the local village hall (book early) and the WI will be selling fairy cakes.

Spinal tap walt!

The solstice should be a national holiday.

Citizens deserve the opportunity to have a day off with the maximum amount of daylight to get stuff done.

Celebrated since before the Romans came and f**ked our shít up!

Worrying times. Thanks to a more robust approach to blocking off lay-bys close to Stonehenge, the hippies have had to look for parking opportunities further away. As a result, a group of hippy types with their old horse boxes and ice cream vans are camped at the top of the lane, about a mile from our village (we live about 5 miles from Stonehenge).
Usually, the great unwashed move on sharpish after the summer solstice and head for Glastonbury, but as Jeremy’s other musical event isn’t taking place this year, there is a possibility they may hang around these parts for a bit longer.
It could get amusing, as the location they are now occupying is one of Wiltshire’s finest dogging sites (allegedly)!
Peace and Love to all! :-D

I can't drive past the place without calling it Stown'enge and making weird noises as in the Spinal Tap intro.

On second thoughts I can't drive past it because the single carriageway that passes it (laughing called the A303) is crammed to capacity with rubber necking mongs. If they built a hedge along that bit of road blocking its view there'd be fewer traffic problems.

I can't drive past the place without calling it Stown'enge and making weird noises as in the Spinal Tap intro.

On second thoughts I can't drive past it because the single carriageway that passes it (laughing called the A303) is crammed to capacity with rubber necking mongs. If they built a hedge along that bit of road blocking its view there'd be fewer traffic problems.
Go via Larkhill and miss it altogether!

Does anyone remember the scene from National Lampoon's European Vacation in which Clark Grisworld (Chevy Chase) is at Stonehenge, reverses the hire car into one of the stones, and they all tumble down like dominoes?

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
The last time I visited Stonehenge it was dark, cold and wet, in a howling gale. The bike had broken down so I pushed it up to one of the stones hoping to get a bit of shelter. I stayed there wrapped in a gas cape until it was light enough to see the lead which had come off and fix it before heading on back to camp. I've never felt the need to visit the place again.

Go via Larkhill and miss it altogether!
Recent roadworks and rabid residents there and in Shrewton have made that less of an option.
Plus side they have started the work on the tunnel, or at least the pre-survey, if the mixed teams of burly construction workers and slight archeological types playing with sieves in fields is anything to go by

You jest, however a few years ago the local authorities were genuinely thinking of building a large earth bank to do exactly that.

losing the B344 and the turnoff was a real pain for many of those who lived in the area, but venerating dead cavemen and their rockeries* is sooo much more important....

*loads of stones stood up and cemented in place in 20thC Concrete evidence

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E The Intelligence Cell 23
GunnersQuadrant The Intelligence Cell 3
E The Intelligence Cell 8