Happy St Skyscrapers Day.

Even though the North Koreans were bombed even more thoroughly than the Vietnamese would later be, their will to fight wasn't destroyed.

Airpower has very definite limits to what it can achieve, just like any other military tool.
When i mentioned my brother was a Tornado pilot, my old section commander commented thus...

"Any **** can press a button and drop a bomb from 10,000 ft, but you'll always need someone willing to follow up and deliver 9 inches of steel to the chest. That is the real test of courage".

It's not just air power. Look at Stallingrad. The germans basically flattened if over a prolonged period, yet still lost. And neigh on 250k civvies crawled out of their holes at the end.

Unless you go nuclear, litterally, you'll always still find opposition. People are like roaches in that respect and that's where the need for infantry comes in. Hard to argue with men intent on delivering up close and personal justice to the queens enemies!

Last edited:
ODD since the US Army had long experience in Jungle warfare and training in the PI , Panama, & Central America

Jungle warfare™ didnt begin with Malaya, Burma, (or the Philippines tbf).
Perhaps the bit I missed mentioning was that part of the "jungle warfare" thing was the "hearts and minds" bit that the Brits employed. They were not there to make Brits out of the locals, merely to persuade the locals not to become communists and let them make their own minds up.

The US in Vietnam appear to have been out to bring western mod cons to the country, everything from air conditioning to coca cola.

It's not just air power. Look at Stallingrad. The germans basically flattened if over a prolonged period, yet still lost. And neigh on 250k civvies crawled out of their holes at the end.
And Groszny, Fallujah, Allepo... Basically, anywhere we'd be fighting for control of countries rather than terrain.

Apparently this PhD person is a professor. This is the kind of twisted bullshit that is being promoted at universities instead of proper critical thinking.

View attachment 603805
Wouldn't that make condeming the attack an act of racism?

After all we keep being told it you support / fail to oppose / benefit from the system then you are racist.
Ergo if this attack was on the system - its a good thing and only white fragility would disagree

They had been fighting the Chinese for 800 years.
Not the Koreans, they were one of the more placid tributary states. The last war was a border dust-up between the newly-minted Qing Empire and the Joseon Kingdom in the early 1700s. It was AQOTWF until the Japanese invasion in the late 19th century, when the Koreans turned to the Qing for help.

You're maybe thinking of the Vietnamese, but they also looked to Beijing when the foreigners came knocking.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
.You're maybe thinking of the Vietnamese, but they also looked to Beijing when the foreigners came knocking.
And later kicked the arse of the PLA.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
And later kicked the arse of the PLA.
And pretty much everyone else. They're hard lads and the terrain works in their favour.

Not the Koreans, they were one of the more placid tributary states. The last war was a border dust-up between the newly-minted Qing Empire and the Joseon Kingdom in the early 1700s. It was AQOTWF until the Japanese invasion in the late 19th century, when the Koreans turned to the Qing for help.

You're maybe thinking of the Vietnamese, but they also looked to Beijing when the foreigners came knocking.
You're correct.
I had the wrong communists.

You're correct.
I had the wrong communists.
The Vietnamese were happy to take Chinese help against the French, French again and Americans, despite their supposed historic antipathy.

I would hope the historic record would give pause to those who claim they're our best mates just because there's an interest in common, but probably not.

It doesn't help that we've been highly focussed on the major cities instead of the rural majority of the population.

UK could say that about British governments back home for the last few centuries