Happy St Patricks Day

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by TangoZeroAlpha, Mar 17, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In March 1900, after news of the particularly bloody Boer War battle which resulted in the relief of Ladysmith, Queen Victoria telegraphed the following message to her victorious troops,

"I have heard with the deepest concern of the heavy losses sustained by my brave Irish soldiers."

On 14 March 1900 Queen Victoria issued the following instruction:

"Her Majesty the Queen is pleased to order that in future, upon Saint Patrick's Day, all ranks of her Irish Regiments shall wear, as a distinction, a sprig of shamrock in their head dress, to commemorate the gallantry of her Irish soldiers during the recent battles in South Africa."

The Colonel of the Regiment sends you the very warmest of good wishes on this St Patrick's Day.

2. Never understoodwhy the Irish get so excited about Saint Patricks Day
    Saint Patrick being a Scotsman.....
  3. The concensus is that he was Welsh actually... Although Scottish & French are also claimed.
  4. Neither do I but then St George isn't English and St Andrew isn't Scottish. Nowadays it seems to be mainly a marketing ploy for Guinness
  5. I'll take your word for it.
    It was some vicar onthe wireless at silly o'clock this morning that said St Patrick was Scottish, but the vicar was Scottish...
  6. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

You say that like it is wrong :p
  7. I don't care where he was born.
    It's also my birthday, so.................Happy St.Patricks Day everyone.
  8. Much the same as the Engerlish getting excited over a Turkish St George.

The rest of the year a doner is usually enough.
  9. The Irish may get excited about it, but they are nothing compared to all the "plastic paddys" the world over.
  10. Well to Irish arrsers I say:
    Beannacht Lá Fhéile Pádraig agaibh!

And Miner: Lá Breithe shona duit!
  11. A good p1ss up ruined by Fookin students who have hijacked the day!
  12. Oi, I'm a fookin' student!
  13. Makes me want to puke.

All of a sudden, the whole world goes fookin 'Oirish' and drinks Guiness.

I was working in Whistler a couple of years ago during said day, and was asked why I wasn't celebrating with my countrymen? You've got to be fookin jokin' I said, I'm a fookin Englishman and fook all to do with the oirish.

Bless them, they didn't realise that we were different nationalities. So when I insisted on describing the canuks I was working with yanks, they soon got the message.

How about making St Georges day a national holiday in England?
  14. Do you pay for your paper with a cheque?
  15. Since spending last weekend in Dub. On the pish I can't afford a paper.