HAPPY ST. PATRICKS DAY, ALL YOU PADDYS OUT THERE.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by bovvy, Mar 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Have a good'un! :blowkiss: What are you all doing to celebrate on this Saturday 17th March 2007?

2. Thanks!

Thermals on for the shamrock parade. Snow forecast for Sunday.

Why did St. P. drive all the good weather out of Ireland, along with the snakes?!

3. good weather, seen the siht we've got from you! Snakes they're still there,just riping you off!

4. Watching the rugby and drowning the shamrock today! And yes, I know it's not big or clever, but in honour of our patron saint, I fully intend to get so full I won't even be able to bite me own finger. I do have a signed leave pass from her indoors. Funny how I've never felt as Irish as what I did when I was in the British Army tho. Anyhoo, happy St Pats to all of you. Have a Guinness, or indeed whatever else agrees with you, on me. Faugh a ballagh!!
    Slainte,
    Foggy :thumright:

5. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Cheers bovvy!
    I will be having a few pints of the black stuff but I will also be saying a silent prayer for our lads who cant be with us.
    Slangea!

(crap Irish spelling)

6. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Faugh a ballagh

A few Guiness & a full Ulster...

7. Laughter and drinks for those who can be with us - a prayer for those who once were.

Faugh-a-Ballagh!

8. Sorry, I'm not Irish, (though I have an Irish forename, followed by a Jewish surname ...... yeah, Seamus Cohen ...... you guessed it). So can someone tell me what "Faugh-a Ballagh" means. Thanks.

9. Sorry i am not Irish but happy St Patricks Day

May your blessings outnumber
    The shamrocks that grow,
    And may trouble avoid you
    Wherever you go.
    ~Irish Blessing

10. Just got this from Google.

Faugh a Ballagh is an Irish phrase that loosely translated means "clear the way". The true spelling of the phrase is "fág an bealach", but it was desguised and semi-anglified for reasons that are not entirely known. It was first used with the Royal Irish Fusiliers in 1798.

It was also popularised outside of Ireland by the Irish Brigade, namely the Fighting 69th - 69th New York Volunteer Infantry (NYVI), 63rd NYVI & 88th NYVI and then later along with the 116th Pennsylvania and the 28th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, which fought in the American Civil War. The origin of its use there is still disputed. It was also adopted by the 55th Battalion of the Australian 5th Division (World War I) during the First World War.

Since then it has appeared rather infrequently in spoken language but has enjoyed some popularity while being printed on mugs, t-shirts, etc.

Historian and musician Derek Warfield released a book and companion CD entitled "Clear the Way", dealing with the history of the 69th Regiment.

11. My 700th post. I was saving it, but, fcuking hell ........ does this happen with this fcuking troll every night. :frustrated:

12. Chubb, you're a cunt,
    I wish you were dead,
    I'll hit you with something blunt,
    so your head leaks something red.
    ~Flashy Blessing

13. Oh, thank you everso much. I was aware that I could do a Google search, but preferred to "hear" it from someone Irish. So it has military as well as Irish connotations? Thanks.

14. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Proword NOWAH:

Faugh-a-Ballagh (or fág an bealach) means "Clear the way."

It's been the battle cry of a number of units, including the Royal Irish Rangers and (I'm led to believe,) the Connaught Rangers.

Bugger !
    Getting slow in my dotage.

15. I gather you must have tried ignoring it?