Happy saint george's day !

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by vvaannmmaann, Apr 23, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. May you all have a peaceful one and slay your personal dragons

Huzzah!

I know he may have been Turkish/Greek/Welsh or eastern Europen of some sort,but until there is proof of these allegations...........

2. Seconded, three cheers for our ficticious pagan saint and his dragon!

Celts have some, perhaps one day you'll be able to hold your beer!

3. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  4. 'Fictitious' pah. Here's a likeness of him, if I was a dragon I'd be scared witless.
    image.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  5. My local junior school, in East Kent, proudly flies the Irish flag on St Paddys day, the Welsh flag on St Davids day and the Scottish flag on St Andrews day. I assume junior schools in the above nations are today flying with due respect the cross of St George?
    Yes I do read the Daily Mail.

6. I slayed my personal dragon last year, when I got divorced. She has to pay me maintenance, as I got the kids.

• Like Like x 5
  7. May you be allowed to fly your national flag wherever you like.

8. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

that's nice of us to to have a romanian saints day isn't it, should make them feel more at home when they all turn up claiming asylum.

9. Wasnt he just a Turk who owned a kebab shop back in the day?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

no you're thinking of george micheal

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ah yes, Ingerlands Middle Eastern immigrant national hero.

You want chilli sauce with dat?

12. others who have St George as their patron saint
    Many Patronages of Saint George exist around the world, including: Georgia, England, Egypt, Bulgaria, Aragon, Catalonia, Romania, Ethiopia, Greece, India, Iraq, Lithuania, Palestine, Portugal, Serbia, Ukraine and Russia, as well as the cities of Genoa, Amersfoort, Beirut, Botoşani, Drobeta Turnu-Severin, Timişoara, Fakiha, Bteghrine, Cáceres, Ferrara, Freiburg im Breisgau, Kragujevac, Kumanovo, Lebanon, Ljubljana, Pérouges, Pomorie, Preston, Qormi, Rio de Janeiro, Lod, Lviv, Barcelona, Moscow and Victoria, as well as of the Scout Movement[3] and a wide range of professions, organizations and disease sufferers.

13. I just love the approach that the English have to their patron saint, the denigrate him. St Andrew was no Scot, he was Jewish (cue all the obvious comments), but he's our jewish saint and we are innordinately proud of him. Why cant the English run with the pride of their nationality? Endless complaints of he's not really English/real/good enough, then onto why cant we have a proper celebration?

14. Because for years we have been forced not to show patriotism in case we offend anyone.

• Like Like x 3