Happy saint george's day !

May you all have a peaceful one and slay your personal dragons

Huzzah!

I know he may have been Turkish/Greek/Welsh or eastern Europen of some sort,but until there is proof of these allegations...........

Seconded, three cheers for our ficticious pagan saint and his dragon!

Celts have some, perhaps one day you'll be able to hold your beer!

R

renamed_user

My local junior school, in East Kent, proudly flies the Irish flag on St Paddys day, the Welsh flag on St Davids day and the Scottish flag on St Andrews day. I assume junior schools in the above nations are today flying with due respect the cross of St George?
Yes I do read the Daily Mail.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
that's nice of us to to have a romanian saints day isn't it, should make them feel more at home when they all turn up claiming asylum.

Wasnt he just a Turk who owned a kebab shop back in the day?

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
no you're thinking of george micheal

others who have St George as their patron saint
Many Patronages of Saint George exist around the world, including: Georgia, England, Egypt, Bulgaria, Aragon, Catalonia, Romania, Ethiopia, Greece, India, Iraq, Lithuania, Palestine, Portugal, Serbia, Ukraine and Russia, as well as the cities of Genoa, Amersfoort, Beirut, Botoşani, Drobeta Turnu-Severin, Timişoara, Fakiha, Bteghrine, Cáceres, Ferrara, Freiburg im Breisgau, Kragujevac, Kumanovo, Lebanon, Ljubljana, Pérouges, Pomorie, Preston, Qormi, Rio de Janeiro, Lod, Lviv, Barcelona, Moscow and Victoria, as well as of the Scout Movement[3] and a wide range of professions, organizations and disease sufferers.

I just love the approach that the English have to their patron saint, the denigrate him. St Andrew was no Scot, he was Jewish (cue all the obvious comments), but he's our jewish saint and we are innordinately proud of him. Why cant the English run with the pride of their nationality? Endless complaints of he's not really English/real/good enough, then onto why cant we have a proper celebration?

I just love the approach that the English have to their patron saint, the denigrate him. St Andrew was no Scot, he was Jewish (cue all the obvious comments), but he's our jewish saint and we are innordinately proud of him. Why cant the English run with the pride of their nationality? Endless complaints of he's not really English/real/good enough, then onto why cant we have a proper celebration?
Because for years we have been forced not to show patriotism in case we offend anyone.

We nicked the patron saint and his flag from the smug eyetie Genoese, whose city state navy carried English troops to a bit of a punch up with the muslamic whordes. Nothing new there then Brits abroad fighting and nicking foreign flags!

Some years ago that jumped up, then chief, soap dodger Sarkozy got flack for holidaying on a boat flying the English red duster, how could the President of France holiday on a boat under a foreign flag let alone the flag of perfidious Albion? The charter boat problem was the same in the crusades, the English King, Dicky O'Plantagenet, solved it by calling the flag his own!

It's not so much an expression of religious piety as an expression of national pride and a celebration of "Englishness" which for all the detractors is still something to be proud of. After years of the cringing left allowing the extreme right to hijack the symbol, The cross of Saint George for me evokes thoughts of a bedraggled, dysentery stricken yet indomitable band of knights and archers about to bring low the flower of French chivalry on the field of Agincourt rather than shaven headed EDL baboons.

I refer my honourable English colleagues to vvaannmmaann and greengrass' post. Reclaim the day, the Saint, the pride, the nationalism what ever it takes to cellebrate who you are and stuff the rest of them. It's not about faith its about pride (and it doesn't need to be a holiday just clebrate) The St George bit is a hook ( but yes a lot of people do have an unwavering faith in Christianity, but that is another thread) just like a capbadge, mascot or flag.

Exactly ivan_the_tolerable.

It's not so much an expression of religious piety as an expression of national pride and a celebration of "Englishness" which for all the detractors is still something to be proud of. After years of the cringing left allowing the extreme right to hijack the symbol, The cross of Saint George for me evokes thoughts of a bedraggled, dysentery stricken yet indomitable band of knights and archers about to bring low the flower of French chivalry on the field of Agincourt rather than shaven headed EDL baboons.
That and the frogs advancing across a muddy field in very heavy armour!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
vvaannmmaann The Intelligence Cell 43
vvaannmmaann The NAAFI Bar 91
vvaannmmaann The NAAFI Bar 20