Happy New Year - Auld lang syne

haloman

Old-Salt
Good video this, see link below.
Put together by a Dutch lady, Ine Braat.
Sung by Sissel Kyrkjebo (Norwegian)

Last edited:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
It opened fine and is indeed a lovely rendition of Burn's most famous work.

Radio this morning, reported very few people know the words of A. L. millenials never heard of it.

CFB
Take an orange.

If you are Scottish then fine, it belongs to you and you are welcome to it, but personally I fucking hate the dreadful dirge and would rather be in the kitchen at parties (Jona Lewie walt) scraping my knob down the cheese grater than 'joining hands' and singing that shite.

Actually written by Willian Brownlow an Englishman from Cambridge in 1765.
Rab never claimed it as his own, it was a compilation he wrote down from an old man reciting, Brownlow’s is just another version of many.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Actually written by Willian Brownlow an Englishman from Cambridge in 1765.
Auld Lang Syne - please expand and inform. I presume you are talking about the music.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Please see post #11
Yeh, saw that and I suppose at some point in my life I will have been told that, however it is like saying Hans Christian Anderson did not write his tales or even Aesop writing his.

RB said he is first to write it down so lends his name to it and of course he recognised a good bit of work when he came across it. At least it has been proven that it is not written by an Englishman.

Still sung, in many languages, over the world, except in English! :D

P&D's of 1st Bn Scots Guards were, once again, doing it on Jools Holland last night with many in Mess Dress in the audience, again

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
Yeh, saw that and I suppose at some point in my life I will have been told that, however it is like saying Hans Christian Anderson did not write his tales or even Aesop writing his.

RB said he is first to write it down so lends his name to it and of course he recognised a good bit of work when he came across it. At least it has been proven that it is not written by an Englishman.

Still sung, in many languages, over the world, except in English! :D
Aesop could write? Well I never!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
If you are Scottish then fine, it belongs to you and you are welcome to it, but personally I fucking hate the dreadful dirge and would rather be in the kitchen at parties (Jona Lewie walt) scraping my knob down the cheese grater than 'joining hands' and singing that shite.
Serfs and savages will mostly reject any form of culture, not saying that you are one of course! but I wish you a Happy New year, and to the tune of one of Burn's finest works...which will outlive us all!

endure

GCM

Happy New Year to you too!

Serfs and savages will mostly reject any form of culture, not saying that you are one of course! but I wish you a Happy New year, and to the tune of one of Burn's finest works...which will outlive us all!
Is not Culture the art of being discerning? It was once said 'The sign of Culture is to be able the hear the William Tell Overture and not think of the Lone Ranger' . My own take on that is to say 'Culture means hearing Van Morrison's Moon Dance and NOT think of 'that' scene in American Werewolf in London'. (In case you are not familiar with the movie, it involves Jenny Agutter, a shower and not much by way of clothing......er….back in 5...…)

Happy New Year to you too!
and you - I was in bed by 2300 and vaguely registered a few fireworks going off - there are some advantages to being half deaf. Like Christmas day, NY Day is celebrated by having the family in one place at the same time and that is the most important thing after all.

Latest Threads