Happy Minden Day

Think you forgot a few

Not that I am bitter that you forgot my Regt at all Ugly

32 (Minden) Battery, 16 Regiment Royal Artillery
1st Battalion, The Royal Anglian Regiment, successor to the 12th Regiment of Foot
HQ Company, 3rd Battalion, The Royal Anglian Regiment (TA Reserve)
The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers, successor the 20th Regiment of Foot
The Royal Welsh, successors to the 23rd Regiment of Foot
The Royal Scots Borderers, The Royal Regiment of Scotland, as successors to the 25th Regiment of Foot
The Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment, successors to the 37th Regiment of Foot
The Light Infantry, successors to the 51st Regiment of Foot

ugly

LE
Its coincidentally also Yorkshire day, so Baltis all round!

Is it red and yellow roses?

ugly

LE
White roses in their headress!
We had to wear them in our Cromwells in 83 for vehicle top cover in West Belfast!

Fair play.

Feck knows where I got red and yellow from 8O

ugly

LE
Red is Lancashire (my county by birth although most of my family are Tykes), Isnt Yellow texan?

Social_Handgrenade said:
Is it red and yellow roses?
It is for the Anglians

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
The Lincolnshire Regiment used to wear yellow waistcoats, so it may be that?

Apparently it's also 'National Twins Day'!

K.O.Y.L.I wore white roses behind capbadge for Minden day parade.Absoloutlely Jack shoite has occured in the Garrison town of Pomfret where the regiment was disbanded to form 2 L.I. in 1968.All that remains is the old R.H.Q. and a couple of streets on some council estate to reflect on.Happy Yorky day to Tykes one and all.I shifted a few 'Pots of Magnet' with an unsavoury bunch of 'Fanny pacer's' this aft,then placed a white rose betwixt the skateboarders and K.F.C. waste on the cenotaph. =| "Cede Nullis (Yield to none)" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King's_Own_Yorkshire_Light_Infantry

ugly

LE
It was a mystery to me until my first tour as the tykes in the Bn were pretty insular, being 1 LI we still shared the honours but we had a former KOYLI as a CSM (I think) and he was adamant that we celebrate it. More time was given to Salamanca day as it was regimental wide and a sports day bevvy up would occur not always in that order!

A mate of mine got dicked into 1 L.I. Even though he was from 2 L.I.'s Hometown and had family who were K.O.Y.L.I!!!needless to say he went awol. :D

ugly

LE
hedgehog64 said:
A mate of mine got dicked into 1 L.I. Even though he was from 2 L.I.'s Hometown and had family who were K.O.Y.L.I!!!needless to say he went awol. :D
I was desperate to avoid 2LI and only 1 yorkeshireman from our intake came to 1LI pushing the last Cornishman with a surname beginning with V into 3LI. Alphabetical order and all that!
I didnt dislike the Bn but growing up in Cornwall !st Bn felt right and I hated cross country! :oops:

Now then can anyone help me in trying to find out where I can get the army records of my Great Grand father.

I have his serial number place of birth oh his marriage cert in 1882 it stated the he was in the 25th regiment of foot.

Could anyone help me please.

5223 John William Wigglesworth Plymouth KOSB ( King's Own Scottish Borderers )

He later joined the Royal Garrison Regiment.

A bit late, however:

THE BATTLE OF MINDEN – 1ST AUGUST 1759

uring the Seven Years war against France a combined force of British and German allies was operating in the valley of the River Wasser near the town of Minden. The six British battalions were the 12th, 20th, 23rd, 25th37th and 51st Regiments of Foot, now the Royal Anglian Regiment, the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers, the Royal Welsh Fusiliers, The Kings Own Scottish Borderers, the Royal Hampshire Regiment and the Light Infantry. The supporting artillery batteries were the predecessors of 32nd (MINDEN) Battery, 16 Light Air Defence Regiment, Royal Artillery, 20 Heavy Regiment, Royal Artillery.

Owing to a misunderstanding in the passage of orders, the six British Infantry Regiments advanced alone against the main body of the French cavalry in the centre. Seeing this confusion Prince Ferdinand, the German Commander of the allied forces, ordered the Hanovarian Guards on the left flank to advance whilst the British Cavalry of the right wing were to move behind the infantry to support them. The cavalry commander, Lord George Sackville, disobeyed orders and declined to take part in the charge, as a result, the cavalry took no active part in the battle.

Seeing the advance of so small a force, the French sent their cavalry, 10000 strong, to the charge. The six British battalions halted and by close range, well aimed volleys, broke up the French attack. The enemy cavalry reformed and attacked on six separate occasions. Only on one occasion did the enemy cavalry succeed in penetrating the front rank, and they were almost annihilated by the second rank. Finally all 63 squadrons were sent flying in disorder.

The British Infantry continued to advance and coming under the cross fire of sixty guns and musketry fire from enemy infantry, suffered heavily. The French threw in two Brigades in an effort to stem the tide but they were quickly broken. Finally in desperation a large body of their Saxon allies were sent to counter attack, but they fared no better than their French predecessors and he whole enemy line broke in panic. Had the British Cavalry then attacked, the slaughter would have been immense. As it was, the enemy lost7000 men to the allies 2800, over 1500 of which were lost by the British Battalions.

Visiting the scene of the battle afterwards, Prince Ferdinand remarked,” It was here that the British Infantry won immortal glory”.

Amen.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E The Intelligence Cell 23
GunnersQuadrant The Intelligence Cell 3
E The Intelligence Cell 8