Happy Midwinter's Day

A strange one this year. But for the church it would be Easter on Sunday but as the Council of Nicea set the spring equinox as 21st March we have to wait until 21st April.

For those not in the know, Easter is the first Sunday after the full moon on or after the spring equinox and it's a full moon tonight but not the official church equinox though it is the real one.

A strange one this year. But for the church it would be Easter on Sunday but as the Council of Nicea set the spring equinox as 21st March we have to wait until 21st April.

For those not in the know, Easter is the first Sunday after the full moon on or after the spring equinox and it's a full moon tonight but not the official church equinox though it is the real one.
How very pagan.

And yes, I know it's to do with Passover 'cos that's when Jesus supposedly walloped the donkey into Jerusalem, but that has its origins in celebrating the first ripe crops (winter-grown barley) and daubing the house with sheep's blood to keep demonic forces out. Pagan :nod:

Roses are reddish
violets are bluish
if it wasn't for christmas
we'd all be Jewish.
Not all of us. And anyway, Jesus was Jewish before he came out as the messiah.

Maybe 'Easter' rather than 'Christmas' would be a better fit - isn't it the crucifying/alien abduction bit that makes the Christians different from Jews? Well apart from the Messianic Jews and then it all starts to get messy.

Where's a theologian to advise? Calling @Pisseduppardre ...

Maybe 'Easter' rather than 'Christmas' would be a better fit - isn't it the crucifying/alien abduction bit that makes the Christians different from Jews? Well apart from the Messianic Jews and then it all starts to get messy.

Thank for the info, as a lapsed red sea pedestrian, the inane verse was more of a piss take, than to be taken seriously. As for organised religion, I can only quote some bloke , " The common man accepts religion as true, the wise man as false, and ruler's as useful"

How very pagan.

And yes, I know it's to do with Passover 'cos that's when Jesus supposedly walloped the donkey into Jerusalem, but that has its origins in celebrating the first ripe crops (winter-grown barley) and daubing the house with sheep's blood to keep demonic forces out. Pagan :nod:
It is very pagan yes but then the early Christian church took over alot of pagan festivals and christianised them.

The Easter one is a perfect example. The early Celtic churches went by the bible so Easter was fixed by reference to the Passover. The early Catholic church (church of Rome) used the pagan way of calculating the date.

The date or rather method of calculation was settled at the synod of Whitby in 663 AD. The Celtic church bishops apparently put forward a good argument for their method of calculation and accused the Catholic church of following pagan practises. The Catholic papal legate's reply was that he was the representative of the pope who was directly descended from St Peter, who must have known best because he was Christ's bezzer; so we are right and if you don't agree we will excommunicated you.

So we still have Easter as a movable feast (excuse the pun) not a fixed date.

Last edited:

Jesus was Jewish and came as the Jewish Messiah. The first Christian's were to all intents and purposes a branch of Judaism and many would have considered themselves as such, it was only towards the middle of the 1st century and the conversion of Gentiles (non-Jews) that the separation seems to have occoured.
There were many arguments in the early churches about the need for Gentiles to convert to Judaism first before becoming followers of Christ.

I agree that messianic Judasium adds a certain confusion to the mix.

It is very pagan yes but then the early Christian church took over alot of pagan festivals and christianised them.

The Easter one is a perfect example. The early Celtic churches went by the bible so Easter was fixed by reference to the Passover. The early Catholic church (church of Rome) used the pagan way of calculating the date.

The date or rather method of calculation was settled at the synod of Whitby in 663 AD. The Celtic church bishops apparently put forward a good argument for their method of calculation and accused the Catholic church of following pagan practises. The Catholic papal legates reply was that he was the representative of the pope who was directly descended from St Peter, who must have known best because he was Christ's bezzer; so we are right and if you don't agree we will excommunicated you.

So we still have Easter as a .lovable feast (excuse the pun) not a fixed date.
Fast forward 1500 years or so and the Catholic hierachy has shown itself to be comprehensively dishonourable what with the kiddy-fiddling and refusing to sanction birth-control in countries with limited natural resources, so I reckon they can be discredited and we should have a fixed date for Easter, or at least have it on the same weekend the clocks change. It would spread the Bank Holidays a little and there'd be a day off on the Monday to recover the hour's lost sleep.

Henry VIII missed a trick there. I'd vote for CofE Easter around March 25th - synchronous with Mary getting up the duff too, which is nice.

How does that explain that the meteorological spring began on the 01 March 2019?

How does that explain that the meteorological spring began on the 01 March 2019?
No, the meteorological seasons are set as 3 months every season so met spring is always 1st March to the end of May.

Fast forward 1500 years or so and the Catholic hierachy has shown itself to be comprehensively dishonourable what with the kiddy-fiddling and refusing to sanction birth-control in countries with limited natural resources, so I reckon they can be discredited and we should have a fixed date for Easter, or at least have it on the same weekend the clocks change. It would spread the Bank Holidays a little and there'd be a day off on the Monday to recover the hour's lost sleep.

Henry VIII missed a trick there. I'd vote for CofE Easter around March 25th - synchronous with Mary getting up the duff too, which is nice.
There is a lot to be said for a fixed date for Easter. I am not in favour of it, I am not sure if this is just because I am a reactionary old fart or a deep theological reason.

There is a lot to be said for a fixed date for Easter. I am not in favour of it, I am not sure if this is just because I am a reactionary old fart or a deep theological reason.
Not being too much of a reactionary old fart* or particularly religious but for horticulural reasons I stand by the "old ways" as the advent of Easter as calculated the way it is does seem have a major impact on plant growth#, particularly seedlings, possibly why our ancestors calculated that important festival the way they did.

*Please don't ask my children to verify/support that statement!

#This year it won't be so noticeable due to the unusually warm February which has already started growth.

The buds are budding and there is an increase in the song birds already, great to see.
incidentally a ques to the arrse massive
I have a bird appearing everyday in my garden which is strange to me
it looks like a coal tit but it's body is yellow, any ideas? it's not a blue tit,the upper body is black and white and it scuttles about like a pied flycatcher,
can birds interbreed?