Happy Midwinter's Day

It's a religion. Making it up as you go along is the very basis of all religion.
Or is it more of a belief system?
Is that the same thing?
They didn't write much down /carve much on stone (runes).
That's probably a good thing, it seems to be the books that cause the problems - with the religious types that is...

You poor frozen b*stards.

We've just started Summer down here. 6 weeks of summer holiday beckon.

Must remember to stock up on sunblock and real dairy ice cream.

Or is it more of a belief system?
Is that the same thing?
They didn't write much down /carve much on stone (runes).
That's probably a good thing, it seems to be the books that cause the problems - with the religious types that is...
In that case the must have been making it up as they went along all the time.
At least those with a book can say "Here look, this is where we wrote it down when we first made it up".

Anyway this is getting well off the track of if shagging by winter solstice moon light is better than shagging by summer solstice dawn sun light.

That was the idea of the thread?

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Anyway this is getting well off the track of if shagging by winter solstice moon light is better than shagging by summer solstice dawn sun light.

That was the idea of the thread?
Something about the days getting longer meaning less moonlight shagging.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Well we again have had the Solstice but note that in Northumberland sunrise is projected to be later over at least the next 7 days ... it must be Nature's way of lowering the " Midge Count " over Christmas .
Correct. Shortest day does not coincide with latest sunrise by a week or two. Google for analemma for interesting information. But be very careful if you are on a work computer not to insert an extraneous space into your search engine. Your PA will not be impressed. Neither will the fascist cyber police.

As for shortest day, don't mention it to the Geordie Hussars. In between celebrating a famous away victory over the French in Spain in 1808, they have to get over yet another home defeat at the hands of the real old enemy: the Mackems.

Jingle bells jingle bells jingle all the way
Oh what fun it is to see Sunderland win away

Occasionally.

Last edited:
You'll be happy to know it's Midwinter's Day again. See what I did there?

The Solstice is at 16.28 for the sun spotters amongst you.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
You'll be happy to know it's Midwinter's Day again. See what I did there?

The Solstice is at 16.28 for the sun spotters amongst you.
With the weather the way it is, is there any chance there will be naked dancing around Stonehenge?

And, is there a bus stop nearby?

A very merry Yuletide to you all, you 'orrible bunch of cnuts. May the Old Gods grant you all you could wish for. :rendeer:

I don't know the ins and outs of all these festivals, pagan or otherwise, but, what I do know, living down the road from the stones is it's guaranteed to bring out it's fair share of nutters and eccentrics. As usual, this area has been invaded by the great unwashed, shuffling along the A303 towards Stonehenge, despite the numerous signs saying "no pedestrian access" and what appears to be the whole country's supply of traffic bollards to prevent them doing so. Most seem to be wearing camouflage clothing, despite their hostility to all things war-like (apparently) and the non-pedestrians drive a motley collection of clapped out ex-ambulances and horseboxes.
The same thing will be repeated at the summer solstice, although numbers will increase due to the improved weather. Twice a year, my missus will ask me if I fancy going to the Solstice at the stones and twice a year she gets the same negative response. Bloody hippies! :smile:
"Hey man, chill out, feel the vibes, its cool, smoke some grass man, get with the beat Daddy'O, its love not war, smell the colours, see the wind," Then wake up and find your front lawn knee deep in hippy shit, the roads blocked with clapped out ancient VW camper vans, the all pervasive stench of joss sticks, and those bloody noisy harry Krishna prats chanting unintelligible gobbledegook, and shoving flyers through the letter box. Welcome to the world of stuff.

Hope all the hippy's, god bothers and the like all get the flu, colds, the plague and other nice killer diseases!
Oh and happy winter greetings.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer

Hope all the hippy's, god bothers and the like all get the flu, colds, the plague and other nice killer diseases!
Oh and happy winter greetings.
If that was taken around 4 pm today I'm glad they were dressed.