Happy Midwinter's Day

There must be times, when Ravers, gazing out of the window, over the double electrified fence. looking at the locals, waving their pointed sticks, and waggling their blue- woad painted arseholes, think....... why didn't the fucking ancestors invade the South of France, instead of FuckingCumbria?

Were druids always ageing middle class hippies with a pathetic grasp on chronological and historical detail who made everything up as they went along?
I thought they were all of the above and people clutching at anything to justify and explain there shitty actions and lives ?

Were druids always ageing middle class hippies with a pathetic grasp on chronological and historical detail who made everything up as they went along?

And also into group sex and hallucinogenics which makes them alright by me.

I thought the title of this thread was "Happy Midwife's Day".

I should really go to Specsavers.

On the contrary they were quite sophisticated astronomers, and their winter solstice celebrations pre-date the Christian equivelent by a few thousand years. Why do you think Christianity adopted the the pagan winter and spring festivals. It is no coincidence that the Christian Christmas festival features new light and hope as it's core message. Then at Easter they feature re-birth. The pagans celebrated the lenghtening of the days (new light) after the winter solstice and re-birth (ie spring) at what the Christians re-named Easter.

http://www.academia.edu/1774084/The_pagan_roots_of_Christianity_a_Reply

I for one shall be raising a glass of pagan whisky tonight. I was going to de-flower a virgin, but that's pretty impossible around these parts without breaking the law.

The seasons are related to celestial motion, not the weather.

In a world without artificial light, the length of daylight is of far more significance to survival than is temperature.
Yes.

Today's 'druids' are a Victorian invention - like clan tartans - and have absolutely no claim to be at Stonehenge. So fold your bed sheets and fuck off

Nearly finished my wicker man - where are those pikeys?

Well we again have had the Solstice but note that in Northumberland sunrise is projected to be later over at least the next 7 days ... it must be Nature's way of lowering the " Midge Count " over Christmas .

Good point, the days don't start getting longer for a while yet. Looking forward to springtime :)
Well we again have had the Solstice but note that in Northumberland sunrise is projected to be later over at least the next 7 days ... it must be Nature's way of lowering the " Midge Count " over Christmas .

It's a religion. Making it up as you go along is the very basis of all religion.