Happy Midwinter's Day

Happy Midwinter Day.

Throw a Yule Log n the fire, slaughter your unwanted livestock and start feasting for 12 days. Spring is on its way.

Which one are you?

The Winter solstice is NOT the same as Mid Winter's day.

I don't know the ins and outs of all these festivals, pagan or otherwise, but, what I do know, living down the road from the stones is it's guaranteed to bring out it's fair share of nutters and eccentrics. As usual, this area has been invaded by the great unwashed, shuffling along the A303 towards Stonehenge, despite the numerous signs saying "no pedestrian access" and what appears to be the whole country's supply of traffic bollards to prevent them doing so. Most seem to be wearing camouflage clothing, despite their hostility to all things war-like (apparently) and the non-pedestrians drive a motley collection of clapped out ex-ambulances and horseboxes.
The same thing will be repeated at the summer solstice, although numbers will increase due to the improved weather. Twice a year, my missus will ask me if I fancy going to the Solstice at the stones and twice a year she gets the same negative response. Bloody hippies! :smile:

Ehh? - start of winter, middle of winter and me pressing my shorts in anticipation. I may have to press said balaclava also, and not a bloody druid to be seen!

What's the rules on human sacrifice, the Druids did it back in the day, if that's still on table, I've got two ideal fat cows to offer up to whoever it is you give them to, theyre coming round to my gaff crimbo day, along with their fcuking hangers on. The offers on the table.

Actually, it both is and isn't.

Some take the solstice as the first day of winter, some as midwinter.
Meteorologists do the latter.

Merry Yule and a happy sacrificial boar.
But there is a lag between the Winter Solstice and the coldest day of the year - January is colder than December.

But there is a lag between the Winter Solstice and the coldest day of the year - January is colder than December.
Who was talking about temperatures - or have I missed that post?
I believe the debate is Winter Solstice or Mid -Winters day.....today.............................ohh FFS!

I don't know the ins and outs of all these festivals, pagan or otherwise, but, what I do know, living down the road from the stones is it's guaranteed to bring out it's fair share of nutters and eccentrics. As usual, this area has been invaded by the great unwashed, shuffling along the A303 towards Stonehenge, despite the numerous signs saying "no pedestrian access" and what appears to be the whole country's supply of traffic bollards to prevent them doing so. Most seem to be wearing camouflage clothing, despite their hostility to all things war-like (apparently) and the non-pedestrians drive a motley collection of clapped out ex-ambulances and horseboxes.
The same thing will be repeated at the summer solstice, although numbers will increase due to the improved weather. Twice a year, my missus will ask me if I fancy going to the Solstice at the stones and twice a year she gets the same negative response. Bloody hippies! :smile:
Arthur Pendragon is not a hippie, he's a fucking fruit cake (and a 'ero veteran).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Uther_Pendragon

Who was talking about temperatures - or have I missed that post?
I believe the debate is Winter Solstice or Mid -Winters day.....today.............................ohh FFS!
If the shortest day of the year is conidered to be Mid Winters day it is the same thing.

Arthur Pendragon is not a hippie, he's a ******* fruit cake (and a 'ero veteran).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Uther_Pendragon
Don't remind me. Timothy was born the same year as me and every time I see a picture of him with his flowing silver locks and beard, it reminds me how much of a twat I would look if I had ever had the nerve or inclination to grow my hair long. "Raised Druid King of Britain" my arse.

The seasons are related to celestial motion, not the weather.

In a world without artificial light, the length of daylight is of far more significance to survival than is temperature.