Happy Hiroshima Day

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by OllieReeder, Aug 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just thought we ought to mark properly the day which saw the war ended a year early, saved a million plus Allied and Japanese lives in the long run, and got the awful "Go on, let's see what it really can do" temptation out of the way at an early stage in the development of nuclear weaponry before they got even bigger and nastier.

Though I have often wondered how much grief Tibbets got from his mum for making her name quite so famous; "So you dropped the most powerful bomb the world has ever seen, from an aeroplane, killed 150,000 people... and named the aeroplane after me? Oh, thank you so very much. All I need now is to be some bloody pop song title to really make my day."

2. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Indeed, Happy A-Bomb Day to us all :)

Writing as one whose Dad was on his way to the Pacific to take part in the invasion of Japan, I am certain that I would not be here had it not been for those clever scientists and brave Airmen. Well done them.

Also, speaking as an ex-Infantryman, I'm in agreement with author (and 14th Army Infantry LCpl) George Macdonald Fraser, who was particularly firm in his conviction that the use of the atomic bomb at Hiroshima was justified, believing that among the lives it had saved had been his own - and thus by deduction those of his children and grandchildren.

3. Of course, if the Japs hadn't lived in stupid paper houses the damage would have been significanlty less. They only have themselves to blame.

4. My father was due to be shipped to the far east as well. He was a lifelong supporter of the A Bombs.

5. Do we sing a song or something, in the vain of Happy Birthday? I too am a decendant of a 14th Army Infantry C/Sgt, so good chances are I wouldn't have been here (Oh how my long suffering Mrs wished they hadn't dropped the Little Boy!)

6. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Also proved Arthur Harris right that bombers would win the war

Just think if he'd some of them for Europe

As someone whose great uncle is still in Singapore fuck em no sympathy from me

7. An easy day for the demolition industry and a busy few months for the building industry and emergency services :thumright:
    All good for the economy if you ask me :)

8. Absolutely! That would be a blast...

...Cheque please

9. As this is in the NAAFI bar, i give you this:

It's the 65th anniversary today, of the atom bomb being dropped on the city of Hiroshima...

And the fookers are STILL squinting against the flash.

10. Great idea. I'll start the ball rolling:

YouTube - ‪THE BEATLES- HERE COMES THE SUN‬‎

11. Katrina and the Waves only famous ditty?

12. My Grandfather was a prisoner of the Japanese. To this day he thinks we (the Allies) should have used a few more and wiped the Japanese race off the face of the earth.

He's just a tad bitter....

13. Green day - Havin' a Blast
    Anything by Earth, Wind and Fire.

14. Enola Gay - OMD. Very apt methinks.