Happy Days

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Spanish_Dave, Feb 16, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

Where did this expression come from and how do you use it?

2. I believe it's a corruption of the phrase "Happy Daze" meaning someone is high and happy about it...

or, wah much?

3. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Happy Days

Schooner glass
    1 x Fowler's Wee heavy
    Topped up with local Special (McEwans, Dryborough, Ushers etc)
    = 1 x Happy Day

4. I like to use it because it annoys my wife.

5. Ditto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course I feel that the true meaning of the phrase is when one looks back to better times. Like the halcyon days of youth, running through a summer meadow with the wind in your hair, on the way to mummy and daddy for a lovely picnic, with lashings of ginger beer and scones. Happy Days.

Course, I lived on a rough as fkuk estate, and used to get the shite kicked out of me by my older brother on an almost daily basis. The nearest I got to a summer meadow was when the council forgot to mow the kids park, and the grass got long enough that you just didn't see the dog shite until you landed on it, CNUTS.

6. Happy days are here again
    The skies above are clear again
    So let's sing a song of cheer again
    Happy days are here again

7. These cnuts ruined my childhood.

[​IMG]

8. I picked it up from my Dad. He uses it incessantly, from realising there is enough HP left in the bottom of a seemingly empty bottle to when I met him on the day I passed out.

9. Dunno if it annoys the wife,never had cause to use it whilst in her company.

10. Happy Days is a sort of reflection on times of good cheer, fortitude and prosperity.

Generally those times pre marriage or post divorce.

11. "Happy days" can be used in a number of different situations.
    1 when you are of good cheer and temperament and nobody has done anything to piss you off lately. (See k19's comment above.)
    2 When you have just got away with something illegal, immoral or unethical and no one has sussed you out, that too can be refered to as "Happy days".
    3 Something happens to improve your lot in life, such as a lottery win, bonus payment or divorce, that again will be "Happy days"
    4 When something unfortunate, but amusing happens to someone that you dont like, such as hurricane in France, Gormless Brown being booted out of office or your ex-wife being run over, that again is "happy days".

12. My dad used to use the phrase whenever something went wrong, in a sarcastic sense. I think probably because my mother wouldn't let him swear, even "bloody" was verboten.

13. Your forgot the brown paper bag and the park bench.

14. I like to use it just after the point of climax ... roll over, quick "happy days" ... fart and get me head down. She doesn't know how lucky she is my missus.

15. He was probably remembering his first bottle of industrial vodka, as he gazed down at you in the gutter ... :twisted: