Im glad this was a joke and not actually possible. Mind you the Tax would come in handy right now.
(2000) PETER RIEDEN'S NOTICE OF REVOCATION OF INDEPENDENCE
The following is the text of a message which was communicated to President Clinton at 07:30 (EST) today:
To the citizens of the United States of America from Her Britannic Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II.
In the light of your failure to elect a President of the USA and thus to govern yourselves, we hereby give notice of the revocation of your independence, effective today. Her Sovereign Majesty Queen Elizabeth II will resume monarchical duties over all states, commonwealths and other territories. Except Utah, which she does not fancy. Your new prime minister (The rt. hon. Tony Blair, MP - for the 97.85% of you who have until now been unaware that there is a world outside your borders) will appoint a minister for America without the need for further elections. Congress and the Senate will be disbanded. A questionnaire will be circulated next year to determine whether any of you noticed. To aid in the transition to a British Crown Dependency, the following rules are introduced with immediate effect:
1. You should look up "revocation" in the Oxford English Dictionary. Then look up "aluminium". Check the pronunciation guide. You will be amazed at just how wrongly you have been pronouncing it. Generally, you should raise your vocabulary to acceptable levels. Look up "vocabulary". Using the same twenty seven words interspersed with filler noises such as "like" and "you know" is an unacceptable and inefficient form of communication. Look up "interspersed".
2. There is no such thing as "US English". We will let Microsoft know on your behalf. Future adult suffrage will be based in part on successful completion of compulsory spelling examinations which will focus on words like "colour" and "visualise" whose mis-spelling is endemic in the American colonies.
3. You should learn to distinguish the English and Australian accents. It really isn't that hard.
4. Hollywood will be required occasionally to cast English actors as the good guys.
5. You should relearn your original national anthem, "God Save The Queen", but only after fully carrying out task 1. We would not want you to get confused and give up half way through.
6. You should stop playing American "football". There is only one kind of football. What you refer to as American "football" is not a very good game. The 2.15% of you who are aware that there is a world outside your borders may have noticed that no one else plays "American" football. You will no longer be allowed to play it, and should instead play proper football. Initially, it would be best if you played in the girls leagues; it is a difficult game. Those of you brave enough will, in time, be allowed to play rugby (which is similar to American "football", but does not involve stopping for a rest every twenty seconds or wearing full kevlar body armour like nancies). We are hoping to get together at least a US rugby sevens side by 2015.
7. You should declare war on Quebec and France, using nuclear weapons if they give you any merde. The 98.85% of you who were not aware that there is a world outside your borders should count yourselves lucky. The Russians have never been the bad guys. "Merde" is French for "shit".
8. July 4th is no longer a public holiday. November 8th will be a new national holiday, but only in England. It will be called "Indecisive Day".
9. All American cars are hereby banned. They are crap and it is for your own good. When we show you German cars, you will understand what we mean.
10. As a sign of penance 5 grams of sea salt per cup will be added to all tea made within the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, this quantity to be doubled for tea made within the city of Boston itself.
11. From November 1st only proper British Bitter will be referred to as "beer", and European brews of known and accepted provenance will be referred to as "Lager". The substances formerly known as "American Beer" will henceforth be referred to as "Near-Frozen Gnat's Urine", with the exception of the product of the American Budweiser company whose product will be referred to as "Weak Near-Frozen Gnat's Urine". This will allow true Budweiser (as manufactured for the last 1000 years in Pilsen, Czech Republic) to be sold without risk of confusion.
12. From November 1st the UK will harmonise petrol (or "Gasoline" as you will be permitted to keep calling it until April 1st 2001) prices with the former USA. The UK will harmonise its prices to those of the former USA and the Former USA will, in return, adopt UK petrol prices (roughly $6/US gallon - get used to it).
13. Please tell us who killed JFK. It's been driving us crazy.
Don't worry. One day we shall reclaim our colonies in the New World. This will have the following benefits for Her Majesty's former subjects:-
They will be able to drink decent beer from pint glasses.
They'll be able to trade in their baseball caps for cricket pads and compete in the English minor counties league
No more wasting billions and arguing about hanging chads during presidential elections. Their head of state will be appointed by almighty God and will serve for life. We don't print Dei Gratia on the coins for nothing dontcha know.
They will learn that football does not require the wearing of helmets and persistent, homo-erotic patting of your team mates' lycra clad buttocks.
Their economy will enjoy the benefit of a decent currency. It'll probably be Euros by then.
The Supreme Court will be retired to be replaced with the demented communists who sit in the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg. This will present a golden opportunity for Diana Ross' former backing singers to buy the Supreme Court building and put on nightly shows.
The Constitution, written by the founding fathers, will be replaced by the Equality and Human Rights Act, written by Tony Blair's wife.
Could we just have the gayer bits that make all the money back, you know LA, SF, NYC, Seattle, Portland, Austin etc? The rest is basically Mexico with more farm subsidies, smaller hats and paved roads.
**** knows why the yanks make such a fuss about the 4th, that was only when the text was approved. It wasn't published, ie "Declared" as such, until the 6th, and had it's first public reading on the 8th, though congress decided to do it on the 2nd (declared they were going to do it), and it wasn't signed by everyone until August. John Adams, I think it was, said something about "2nd July 1776 being a day everyone will remember", but I can't find the actual quote