Happy Birthday Singapore

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
I saw this video for the first time last year at an exhibition at the National Museum of Singapore,
watching it again this morning, I find it just as powerful.
When I visited the National Museum Singapore in 2009, there was a lengthy Merdeka walk thro display which had the wartime quote of Churchill '....we shall never surrender...' displayed as if it was our country during WWII letting them down.

I was offered 'entertainment' by a young 'lady' while I was having a wazz in that toilet once. I turned him down :eek:
Why? Not cute enough for you (or too big a crank to overlook) : :?

endure

GCM
I was there for a couple of nights in Feb thisyear, it was my first visit. I found a superbly dodgy hotel in the chinatown area. The only touristy thing I managed was a beer or four at the top of the Skypark Observation Deck, not the cheapest place for a beer, and a quick visit to the Botanical Gardens.
My brother was born there in 1966 while my dad was stationed there. My maternal Grandfather was there in the war and ended up being captured by the Japs and managed to survive.
I loved the place and hope to return.

Attachments

Benjamin1876

Old-Salt
when I arrived back in Terendak from Sarawak in early August 1965 I was given 10 days leave and took my wife and two children to Singapore for a holiday, we arrived there on 8th August and the next morning as we were about to leave our hotel the manager at the front desk told us not to go outside as Singapore had declared independence from Malaysia and there will probably be riots. We went out anyway and the only thing that happened was that the Malaysian flags had been taken down and a Singapore flags sraised in its place and we had a lovely 10 days holiday in Singapore with no problems at all, spent a lot of money as we would be coming back to Australian at the end of September and was our last chance to spend in the best shopping place that my wife said she had ever been to,. I note some mention British Army barracks in Singapore and I recall being at one barracks in early 1965 and the sign at the front gate said "Flies breed disease, keep yours buttoned" - can anyone remember which barracks that was, as I cant, too long ago but may have been Neesoon

Wonderful Island and enjoyed life as a Pad brat on Medway Park happily swimming away the school holidays at The Singapore swimming club and as a Tanglin Otter. Then off back to school via BOAC or Quantus and if dad was really lucky a cheap standby ticket out of RAF Changi.
No Boogi street for me I was only 11, but Change Alley and SK Tangs yes please!
Do remember the Americans and their R&R trips from Viet Nam.

Wonderful Island and enjoyed life as a Pad brat on Medway Park happily swimming away the school holidays at The Singapore swimming club and as a Tanglin Otter. Then off back to school via BOAC or Quantus and if dad was really lucky a cheap standby ticket out of RAF Changi.
Should have said "Hi!" That would be the neighborly thing to do. ;-)

Boxed Swabbies.jpg

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
1955, off the troopship and transported by truck to Singapore railway station, handed a Lee Enfield rifle and ammo, to board the overnight train, first to KL, then onwards up country. First immpression, what a strange on board WC cmpartment, two footprints in raised relief and a hole in the floor!

merchantman

War Hero
.... I note some mention British Army barracks in Singapore and I recall being at one barracks in early 1965 and the sign at the front gate said "Flies breed disease, keep yours buttoned" - can anyone remember which barracks that was, as I cant, too long ago but may have been Neesoon
Could it have been Dempsey Hill, still there but a collection of shops and restaurants, if you get back there I would recommend Sammy's for a curry lunch, nothing fancy but very good curry slapped onto a banana leaf:

Singapore felt quite betrayed by Wilson's decision to rapidly withdraw troops, aircraft and ships from Singapore, and his rapidly escalating withdrawal programme (1966, 1968 and 1970). The Five Power Defence Agreement was meant to assure security in the region - but only the Australians and the Kiwis bother paying more than lip-service to it; The UK occasionally deploys aircraft to exercises, but both Malaysia and Singapore know that the UK's heart is not in it.

I went to Georgetown in Penang on holiday in 2015. I found that was more like the old Singapore, but still clean and the people were friendly.
I celebrated my 19th birthday in Georgetown in 1967.....can't remember much about it although I did meet a couple of WRAC off my shift who were with some Aussies - after that, a total blank.

This bar has a lot to answer for:

Hong Kong bar-Penang.jpg

IIRC I stayed in the old Sandys Home

sandycroft2.jpg

sandycroft.jpg

Sorry to pull you up, pimpernel, but Tangs was CK Tangs, not SK......

Re the Americans - the price of everything went up when they came ashore, girls, food, taxis, etc. We had some memorable times with them, fights, booze-ups (Gee, I love your accent!!), sight-seeing and getting legless on Mateus Rose (for some reason they loved that stuff). We always seemed to fight the crew of the Bonhomme Richard when it came into port, too - no idea why. The other crews just wanted to get pissed with us or end up in a dodgy bar or ten.

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
I celebrated my 19th birthday in Georgetown in 1967.....can't remember much about it although I did meet a couple of WRAC off my shift who were with some Aussies - after that, a total blank.

This bar has a lot to answer for:

IIRC I stayed in the old Sandys Home

View attachment 496193
Good pics. Doesn't matter which way to spell it, but I also stayed at Sandes in Singapore. After months in Malaya, the elderly British ladies staffing Sandes, were the first we had seen since landing in 1955. The bible was handed out on arrival, and because the overnight stay was so affordable, we felt obliged to carry the bible with our towels to the swimming pool. Nobody bothered to read it!

Sorry to pull you up, pimpernel, but Tangs was CK Tangs, not SK......

Re the Americans - the price of everything went up when they came ashore, girls, food, taxis, etc. We had some memorable times with them, fights, booze-ups (Gee, I love your accent!!), sight-seeing and getting legless on Mateus Rose (for some reason they loved that stuff). We always seemed to fight the crew of the Bonhomme Richard when it came into port, too - no idea why. The other crews just wanted to get pissed with us or end up in a dodgy bar or ten.
Typo, CK it is.
Left in 1969 with my own MFO box full of wooden elephants and kukris. So many fond memories of the Gap and beating retreats with the Gurkha's and curry lunches in the Tanglin mess. Watched the Union jack come down, sad day!

KnockKnock, those two old ladies at the Singapore Sandys/Sandes were legendary - somewhere else on ARRSE they're mentioned by name - I think they got OBE's or something like that.

Good meals there, too.

Singapore felt quite betrayed by Wilson's decision to rapidly withdraw troops, aircraft and ships from Singapore, and his rapidly escalating withdrawal programme (1966, 1968 and 1970). The Five Power Defence Agreement was meant to assure security in the region - but only the Australians and the Kiwis bother paying more than lip-service to it; The UK occasionally deploys aircraft to exercises, but both Malaysia and Singapore know that the UK's heart is not in it.
They were p*ssed off ref WW2 and they saw us as being unable to protect them afterwards. Then there was the whole part of Malaysia debacle and they were of the conclusion that no one looks after them better than themselves.
If there ever was a safe place to raise kids and grow old, Singapore's it. Mind you, you'd die ten stone overweight with the food out there.

Latest Threads