Happy Birthday Singapore

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Today is Independence Day in Singapore, island of my birth.

9th August 1965 Singapore got independence from Malaya.

singapore-flag.jpg

I saw this video for the first time last year at an exhibition at the National Museum of Singapore,
watching it again this morning, I find it just as powerful.

quilter

War Hero
Happy Birthday Singers., Posted there 1968., lived in Changi near RAF Changi - a mere tin shed in those times - worked in Tanglin - alongside two local Chinese civvy staff for Far East Land Forces - some of the happiest times of my life, filmed the Thaipusam festival - attended Chinese funerals, Malay weddings etc., had my first fish curry at Abdullah's on the East Coast Road - loved my life out there and my son was conceived there - Lee Kwan Yew was most respected, kept Singapore clean and strict - have many carved furniture items from there, I can still sing the last few bars of Madjulah Singapura and even the TV ads of the time., returned 30 odd years later and loved it, was wowed by the current luxury of it all, thanks for the reminder.

Happy birthday Singapore

We shall be forever grateful to you for bringing to us the four floors of whores

9th August 1965 Singapore got independence from Malaya.
And Singapore, and the rest of the world, is better for that divorce.

BratMedic

LE
Book Reviewer
Had some Singaporean medics with us in GW1, great blokes.

endure

GCM
Happy birthday Singapore

We shall be forever grateful to you for bringing to us the four floors of whores

And the Dance of the Flaming *********...

bg.jpg

endure

GCM

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
LKY really cracked down on the locals, now you must only cross the roads when the light and buzzer is in your favour, or risk an on the spot fine. In August 1957 the tallest building in Singapore was the Bank building, where from the 15th floor you could get a tremendous panoramic view of the harbour. Now it's locked in nestled against a skyscraper. One of these days I shall join my b/w harbour shots together. (perhaps!)

I went to Georgetown in Penang on holiday in 2015. I found that was more like the old Singapore, but still clean and the people were friendly. There was a lot more of the old Peranekan culture, and old colonial buildings left there, while most of it in Singapore has been knocked down and replaced by dull
20170917_185004-1152x864.jpg
3-e-and-o-poolside.jpg
shopping centes and hotels, it seemed very plastic.

Stayed at the Eastern and Orient Hotel in Georgetown. Like Raffles in Singapore, but at a fraction of the price and still with sea views.

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
In 1956 the only shop with air conditioning (other than an expensive hotel I guess) was as I remember, the Singapore Cold Store, where they had the best tasting orange juice in small bottles, a great place to cool off. (No, wait a minute I cannot remember anything other than fans going round in ceilings elsewhere.)
When I visited again in 2009, every shopping mall was air conditioned, but the Van Kleef Aquarium situated in the King George V Park had sadly disappeared.

The next pic is showing living conditions in a photo taken by me in 1956, viewpoint from Cavenagh Bridge, a short way from Clark Quay near Fullerton Road, an area that I found on my later visit to be very upmarket.
Our National Service lads did much to help keeping the CTs at bay, and IMO I think eventually towards Malaya and Singapore becoming independent.
Also IMO, Malaysia and Singapore could have easily instituted a commemorative medal to include the commonwealth troops who served before 1957 independence, in the Malayan Emergency
DSC02125.JPG
DSC02126.JPG

Last edited:
Happy birthday Singapore

Sailors have more fun (ashore)

endure

GCM

Seadog

ADC
There's nothing not to like about Singapore although there is a demographic (who have probably never been there for more than a day if at all) who disagree. "It's so clean, safe, polite and efficient" they whine through their nose piercings. Like that's a bad thing.