Happy agincourt Day.

#1
Happy Agincourt Day!

France, 25th.October 1415.

When 6,000 British Archers destroyed the flower and pride of the French Nobility.

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers,

For he today that sheds his blood with me,

Shall be my brother, be he ne're so vile

This day shall gentle his condition,

And gentlemen in England now-a-bed

Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,

And hold their manhood cheap while any speaks

That fought with us upon St. Crispin's Day.

(send it on to a Frenchman, Really piss him off)

And for the Donkey Wallopers, Balaklava. October 25th. 1854.
Whoops, typo error!! Not 1845 but 1854.
 

Attachments

#2
Lets all stick our fingers up at the french in memory of Agincourt.
(And any other time you feel like it)
 
#5
BarceBandit said:
Happy Agincourt Day!

France, 25th.October 1415.

When 6,000 British Archers destroyed the flower and pride of the French Nobility.

We few, we happy few, we band of bezzers,

For he today that sheds his blood with me,

Shall be my brother, be he ne're so vile

This day shall gentle his condition,

And gentlemen in England now-a-bed

Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,

And hold their manhood cheap while any speaks

That fought with us upon St. Crispin's Day.
My bold; so that it fits in with my signature block!
 
#6
Bambi said:
Cry havoc!

And raise a glass to the Welsh bowmen
Not all of them, not even most of them and such terms would hardly apply in the modern sense during the Middle Ages...but why let facts get in the way of nationalistic and / or revisionist history? :roll:
 
#7
wedge35 said:
Bambi said:
Cry havoc!

And raise a glass to the Welsh bowmen
Not all of them, not even most of them and such terms would hardly apply in the modern sense during the Middle Ages...but why let facts get in the way of nationalistic and / or revisionist history? :roll:
What makes you say that then? Were they not born in what we now call Wales or was Wales called something else. Was not Henry V born in Wales? Please expand your comments.

Although it should state Archers not Bowmen, bowmen make bows, fletchers arrows and archers use them...
 
#8
My point is that modern national terms are virtually meaningless when you go as far back as the 15th century. The modern nation state has arisen largely as a result of the replacement of feudalism with capitalism and the 'history' by which people define themselves is usually no more than myth. To imagine that Henry would have considered himself Welsh because he happened to be born in Monmouth is ludicrous; just as ludicrous as to think that the soldiers who made up his army would have considered themselves 'Welsh' or 'English' in anything like the modern sense of those terms. Contrary to what some irresponsible popular history would have us believe, power-play between medieval nation states - stirring nationalistic speeces and all - was confined to a small group at the top of society who were so inter-connected as to make modern labels almost meaningless. Even if you do decide to view medieval history through modernistic eyes, to use the term 'Welsh' bowmen to describe the whole of Henry's army is as abusive as to use the traditional 'English' bowmen.

I was originally going to post something similar about how this obsession with Agincourt, Joan d'Arc etc is completely ridiculous when used to re-enforce modern day predjudices but the got sidetracked with the Welsh / English issue (which amounts to much the same thing).
 
#9
Does this mean that the long-running Radio 4 'every-day story of country folk' should be a lot more violent, and involve rural West Midlanders shooting each other in the eye with non-black powder ballistic weaponry?
If so, what role does the Grundy family play?
 
#10
Fetch the landing net Mellors - yes, the big one - I think we've hooked fish on both droppers ............

Huzza!
 
#11
Not a bite at all - I believe I was argueing the case for not getting overly emotional about historical events :wink:
 
#14
Good egg.

Don't worry, it's catch & release in these parts.
 
#16
And fill the wall up with our English dead ...........

'Night all.
 
#17
BarceBandit said:
And for the Donkey Wallopers, Balaklava. October 25th. 1845.

I really hate to be pedantic(ok no i dont) but Balaklava was in 1854
 
#18
Henry_Tombs said:
BarceBandit said:
Happy Agincourt Day!

France, 25th.October 1415.

When 6,000 British Archers destroyed the flower and pride of the French Nobility.

We few, we happy few, we band of bezzers,

For he today that sheds his blood with me,

Shall be my brother, be he ne're so vile

This day shall gentle his condition,

And gentlemen in England now-a-bed

Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,

And hold their manhood cheap while any speaks

That fought with us upon St. Crispin's Day.
My bold; so that it fits in with my signature block!
Maybe it's not politically correct to say "Brothers", in case we offend, errr, the brothers?
 
#19
Ozduke said:
Maybe it's not politically correct to say "Brothers", in case we offend, errr, the brothers?
Would they be those dark-skinned 'brothers' whose ancestral homeland you now live in? :wink:
 
#20
wedge35 said:
My point is that modern national terms are virtually meaningless when you go as far back as the 15th century. The modern nation state has arisen largely as a result of the replacement of feudalism with capitalism and the 'history' by which people define themselves is usually no more than myth. To imagine that Henry would have considered himself Welsh because he happened to be born in Monmouth is ludicrous; just as ludicrous as to think that the soldiers who made up his army would have considered themselves 'Welsh' or 'English' in anything like the modern sense of those terms. Contrary to what some irresponsible popular history would have us believe, power-play between medieval nation states - stirring nationalistic speeces and all - was confined to a small group at the top of society who were so inter-connected as to make modern labels almost meaningless. Even if you do decide to view medieval history through modernistic eyes, to use the term 'Welsh' bowmen to describe the whole of Henry's army is as abusive as to use the traditional 'English' bowmen.

I was originally going to post something similar about how this obsession with Agincourt, Joan d'Arc etc is completely ridiculous when used to re-enforce modern day predjudices but the got sidetracked with the Welsh / English issue (which amounts to much the same thing).
"Because a man is born in a stable, that does not make him a horse".
His Grace, The Duke of Wellington. A retort for being called Irish!
 

Similar threads

Top