Happy 234th BIrthday to the US Marines!

Discussion in 'US' started by jumpinjarhead, Nov 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I realize by British standards we are mere adolescents but nevertheless today is the 234th anniversary of our Corps and will be celebrated wherever Devil Dogs may be found around the world.

Here is our Commandant's Message to all Marines:

UNITED STATES MARINES REPRESENT THE BEST YOUNG MEN AND WOMEN OUR NATION HAS TO OFFER. TO BE A MARINE IS TO BE A MEMBER OF AMERICA'S WARRIOR CLASS - TO BE ONE OF THE FEW WHO STEPS FORWARD WITH THE COURAGE AND CONVICTION TO FACE WHATEVER DANGERS AWAIT. OUR NATION EXPECTS HER MARINES TO BE READY WHEN THE NATION CALLS; TO LEAVE FAMILY AND THE COMFORTS OF HOME BEHIND; TO MARCH INTO BATTLE AND THRIVE UNDER AUSTERITY; AND TO COME HOME UNDER A VICTORY PENNANT.

2. FROM AL ANBAR IN THE WEST OF IRAQ, TO HELMAND PROVINCE IN THE SOUTH OF AFGHANISTAN, OUR CORPS OF MARINES CAN ALWAYS EXPECT TO BE FOUND WHERE THE FIGHT IS TOUGHEST. SUCH IS OUR HISTORY. TODAY, AS WE WRITE THE FINAL CHAPTER ON OUR VICTORY IN IRAQ, WE WILL INCREASINGLY TAKE THE FIGHT TO THE ENEMY IN AFGHANISTAN AND ADD NEW PAGES TO OUR LEGACY IN PLACES CALLED DELARAM, NOW ZAD, AND GARMSIR. ONE DAY, WE WILL RETURN TO OUR NAVAL HERITAGE AND PATROL THE HIGH SEAS WITH OUR NAVY BROTHERS. SUCH IS OUR FUTURE.

3. AS WE CELEBRATE OUR CORPS' 234TH BIRTHDAY, WE FIRST PAUSE TO REFLECT AND PAY TRIBUTE TO THOSE MARINES WHO HAVE GIVEN THE LAST FULL MEASURE IN DEFENSE OF FREEDOM. WE EXTEND OUR DEEPEST GRATITUDE TO OUR MARINE CORPS FAMILIES - THE UNSUNG HEROES WHO ENDURE HARDSHIP AND SACRIFICE SO THAT WE ARE ABLE TO GO FORWARD AND ACCOMPLISH ANY MISSION. WE EXTEND OUR APPRECIATION TO OUR COUNTRYMEN WHO HAVE ANSWERED OUR EVERY NEED. AND WE CELEBRATE THE MAGNIFICENT MEN AND WOMEN WHO WILLINGLY AND SELFLESSLY CONTINUE TO GO INTO HARM'S WAY TO PROTECT THIS GREAT NATION.

4. TO ALL WHO HAVE GONE BEFORE, TO THOSE WHO WEAR THE UNIFORM TODAY, AND TO THE FAMILIES THAT GIVE US THE STRENGTH TO FORGE AHEAD - I WISH YOU ALL A HEARTFELT HAPPY 234TH BIRTHDAY!

5. SEMPER FIDELIS! JAMES T. CONWAY, GENERAL, U.S. MARINE CORPS, COMMANDANT OF THE MARINE CORPS//

SEMPER FI, MARINES....AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY...!!!!!!!!

2. well done marines!!! happy birthday!!! :D

3. Yee-haw! :) Served with the 2nd Battalion, 7th Marines in Helmand, 2008. Good blokes. Happy Birthday, Semper Fi baby!

4. Many Happy Returns, you Devil Dogs! :D

Semper Fi! :highfive:

5. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

They grow up so fast these days, bless.

Happy Birthday to the Corps. Sterling Chaps :D

6. Soldier On, Marines!

7. Sprogs... :wink:

Happy Birthday leathernecks.

8. From the halls of Montezuma to the shores of Tripoli ....... Semper Fi!!!! and Happy Birthday.

9. Birthday wishes to all of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children

T

10. Happy Birthday guys,
    thanks for keeping my fat hairy ass safe in GW2 and introducing me to the pleasures (?) of green eggs.

11. I just returned from our annual soiree an thought some might enjoy this video from our Commandant:

USMC Video

12. rampant

Thanks jjh, good vid.

Though it does make me smile to notice the differneces in approaches (but the not the determination) :D

13. Thanks Rampart-I thought it was pretty well done. While I suppose some might argue it is a bit "Hollywood," I am gratified that we are trying hard to maintain a sense of heritage in an age where anything older than the last versions of Windows is seen as ancient and passe'.

The details of the story summarized in the video of those 2 young Marines who died at their post is inspiring as well.

14. rampant

Anytime Old Boy,

A lot of vitriol is always thrown between our nations , but hey: your nation maybe the petulent child, but mhaiiii, how you've grown. :wink:

Allez mes enfants!!!!!!!!!

15. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

Chosin Reservoir, Nov 1950:
    "Break through - at all costs!" - Gen OP Smith, CO, I USMC Division
    "Right - we'll give them a show!" - Lt Col Douglas Drysdale, CO, 41 Commando, RM

Happy Birthday to all Jarheads (jumping and otherwise).