Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Happy 2020 from Latvia

Dark_Nit

LE
Book Reviewer
Ewwww!
Crocs with socks
1577897806670.png

2020 here in Latvia and Latvia is facing multiple problems ranging from:

Overly high taxation leading to high tax avoidance and depopulation
Split community - leading to exploitable gaps by Russia
Lack of high paid rural work leading to further widespread rural depopulation leading to a NATO nightmare
An outright drug dependency on EU cash for high profile low return projects - such as Railbaltica
A downright stupid vision that they have Western values and therefore the West should not only protect them - but - pay to protect them.
Totally corrupt politicians aided by a population who are happy to that 30 years is not enough to fix the Soviet regime of 45 years... we need more time.

Time to move on.

Seems apt:

And what for NATO where we have dysfunctional MS such as Latvia and Turkey?
2020 - the year and the decade will be challenging and the winds of war swirl in the Gulf, China rising and Russia curling for a needy strike.

The 2020s will interesting times for a split Britain too.
whats her name ?
His girlfriend is stunning but watches him like a hawk when we are out drinking, touches him on the arm when he has reached the prescribed amount and he rarely attends boys-only piss-ups. Sensible girl from my (admittedly limited) experience of Russians (which is what he sees himself as despite the Latvian EU passport).

Depopulation is the unaddressed problem in Latvia, only by liberalising the economy and realising that law and order are the only way to progress and deliver benefits to the greater population will this country manage to start to turn the corner.
They need immigrants or returnees. The Latvians I know in the UK would like to retire there...eventually, but their kids will be more English than Latvian by then.

Depopulation is the unaddressed problem in Latvia, only by liberalising the economy and realising that law and order are the only way to progress and deliver benefits to the greater population will this country manage to start to turn the corner.
Spot on, depopulation is over 20% and rising. The elderly population over 65 is 2 to 1 female over male, and the birthrate is 1.4 a -8% growthrate.

They need immigrants or returnees. The Latvians I know in the UK would like to retire there...eventually, but their kids will be more English than Latvian by then.
Lots of immigrants from the poorer parts of Western Europe came to Canada in the 1950s and 1960s, intending to make enough money to eventually retire back home. They came from the remote rural areas of Italy, Ireland, and elsewhere.

They worked hard, saved their money, paid off their mortgages, and worked their way to their dream. Then they hit retirement age and went off to fulfil their dream. More often than not they were back in Canada within a few years, as the reality of "the old country" didn't coincide with their memories of it. All of their age group friends and relatives had also emigrated, and the older ones had passed away, and they didn't know anyone there any more. Meanwhile their friends, children, and grandchildren were all back in Canada getting on with their lives and only interested in occasional vacation visits to humour their parents.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the same happen to Latvian emigrants.

Spot on, depopulation is over 20% and rising. The elderly population over 65 is 2 to 1 female over male, and the birthrate is 1.4 a -8% growthrate.
The problem is the politicos - they won't wake up and smell the coffee, as I've mentioned to @History_Man several times, there is still the communist mind-set with regard to control emitted from the government institutions with overbearing tax authorities linked to widespread corruption.

When it takes the US to put Aivars Lembergs on the list png because the Latvians can't convict him and then the US sanction the major ports led by the very same individual, only then do the Latvians actually take action.

Strange state of affairs.

Lots of immigrants from the poorer parts of Western Europe came to Canada in the 1950s and 1960s, intending to make enough money to eventually retire back home. They came from the remote rural areas of Italy, Ireland, and elsewhere.

They worked hard, saved their money, paid off their mortgages, and worked their way to their dream. Then they hit retirement age and went off to fulfil their dream. More often than not they were back in Canada within a few years, as the reality of "the old country" didn't coincide with their memories of it. All of their age group friends and relatives had also emigrated, and the older ones had passed away, and they didn't know anyone there any more. Meanwhile their friends, children, and grandchildren were all back in Canada getting on with their lives and only interested in occasional vacation visits to humour their parents.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the same happen to Latvian emigrants.
That is an interesting add because on the whole, I agree with your submission. However, a potential client in Sri Lanka has identified the Tamil areas as the most lucrative for 'luxury' foods (I'll qualify later) because of the number of... Tamil Canadians who are returning and have the resources to purchase improved foods.

(SL has a diet of makerel, price controlled, the consumption of which can not be met by domestic supply - in the Tamil areas, they are ready to purchase makerel in, for example, sauce - no State price control).

The problem is the politicos - they won't wake up and smell the coffee, as I've mentioned to @History_Man several times, there is still the communist mind-set with regard to control emitted from the government institutions with overbearing tax authorities linked to widespread corruption.

When it takes the US to put Aivars Lembergs on the list png because the Latvians can't convict him and then the US sanction the major ports led by the very same individual, only then do the Latvians actually take action.

Strange state of affairs.
From 2015
Last year Latvia lost precisely eighty-four villages, a formal administrative process of elimination wherein the state Land Service and local governments determine that they no longer exist and their territories are no longer shown by the respective zoning maps.
This is also happening in Greece, Italy, Portugal and Spain.

That is an interesting add because on the whole, I agree with your submission. However, a potential client in Sri Lanka has identified the Tamil areas as the most lucrative for 'luxury' foods (I'll qualify later) because of the number of... Tamil Canadians who are returning and have the resources to purchase improved foods.

(SL has a diet of makerel, price controlled, the consumption of which can not be met by domestic supply - in the Tamil areas, they are ready to purchase makerel in, for example, sauce - no State price control).
Couple years ago I caught so much mackerel that my kayak was nose-down and it took me 2 hours to paddle 2 miles. I filled my freezer, my brothers, my in-laws and two of my neighbours. We had a fish-smoking party that was epic.

You smoke fish? My neighbours, the Cloggies, smoke grass.
It's a foreign ting. The grandfather of my son, smokes cheese, hams... his friends make hooch - Czech style. As the do the Latvians - although they do a lot of smoked fish for some reason ;)

Not allowed to consume anymore, but, these would be luxury products in the UK and all the Central and Northern European countries are waking up to brand and marketing.

LIAA - the Latvian Investment and Development Agency under dear Andris Ozols were dire, however, he surrounded himself with young nubile ladies while his wife went off from being Fin Min to an MEP.

There's hope, but it is no Australian bushfire.