"Hanoi Jane" Fonda catches stick from veterans . . . again/still

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Fireplace, Aug 20, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Jane Fonda as Nancy Reagan in 'The Butler' Rankles Vets; Protests Underway

Amazing when you consider her father was Henry Fonda, gentleman, superb actor, salt of the earth, etc.

And served during WWII:

Fonda enlisted in the Navy to fight in World War II, saying, "I don't want to be in a fake war in a studio."[SUP][21][/SUP] Previously, he and [Jimmy] Stewart had helped raise funds for the defense of Britain.[SUP][22][/SUP] Fonda served for three years, initially as a Quartermaster 3rd Class on the destroyer USS Satterlee. He was later commissioned as a Lieutenant Junior Grade in Air Combat Intelligence in the Central Pacific and was awarded the Navy Presidential Unit Citation and the Bronze Star.[SUP][23]

Nice credentials in bold.[/SUP]

2. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

You'd think some people would relax slightly over what happened forty years ago...

3. I wouldn't piss on the bitch if she was on fire.

• Like Like x 10
  4. Anyone over Warrenpoint?

• Like Like x 4
  5. If she wanted a mud facial, I might drop a loaf.

6. Bowmore_Assassin

Bowmore_Assassin LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Really ?

Lets start with her initial premise:

Fonda gave a speech in 1970 @ Michigan State Univ. saying; "I would think that if you understood what Communism was, you would hope, you would pray on your knees, that we would someday become communists."

But this is what really riles US veterans:

http://www.factcheck.org/2010/11/blame-jane-falsehoods/

Notwithstanding there appear to be some Internet falsehoods out there, it is clear she did enough, IMHO, to warrant the 'traitorous' tag.

I too wouldn't piss on her if she was on fire.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

7. fonda2.jpg

Hanoi Jane and an NVA AA gun.

Good god, I'm English and I hate the bitch for what she did to her own country.

When she got back she should have been hanged by the neck until sensible.

• Like Like x 5
  8. ............... and as for that Sean Penn(is).

• Like Like x 2
  9. Actors are people who make a career out of pretending to be someone else. I sometimes wonder why the political opinions of such people are regarded to be more important than the average punter on the number 11 bus.

That said, the visits of anti-war activists like Fonda, secured the release of more US POW’s from Vietnam than those who managed to either escape or be rescued. I’m thinking of David Dellinger and others.

People like Fonda are a lightning rod for mouth breathing ideologues; however it has to be acknowledged that their efforts actually served the greatest good for the greatest number. I disagree with Fonda and Dellinger’s politics, but along with John Stuart Mill, I can’t fault the outcome that they achieved.

If you think that the release of POW’s held by the Vietnamese (and Lao) Communists was a good thing and the sooner that happened the better, the score board reads

Hippie peace activists - some.

Extravaganzas like the Son Tay Raid – nil.

Closer to home, I’m personally more aggrieved that Vanessa Redgrave who led the 1968 Vietnam protests and subsequent riots in London in 1968 was awarded a CBE.

As to the critical question of would you have a crack at them today?

Fonda – Oh yes indeedy!

Redgrave – Not with a borrowed dick.

Cheers

Mick.

• Like Like x 3
  10. I once had the dubious pleasure of meeting Hanoi Jane and, seperately but not long afterwards Teddy Kennedy. Fonda was briefly a guest on a boat I worked on and believed herself to be Royalty – deeply unhappy unless at the centre of the universe. I had nothing to say to her but wish I had a photo of her in those surroundings to contrast with that of her manning a triple A.

A few days later Kennedy was strolling with a young lady I assume was his neice on a beach in Anegada while his security detail roamed ahead asking the very few people around to leave the area. When they got to where I was sitting I had to repeat my response of: "How does f+£k off sound?" twice before they did so. Creatures the lot of 'em.

• Like Like x 4
  11. By and large actors should stick to repeating what other people /writers have written for them, the things they say are not original thought on their behalf. This can be backed up by watching them being interviewed and expressing their own views in their own words. They are not the articulate aware people they think they are, in short they pretend for a living.
    I wouldn't piss on Hanoi Jane either.

• Like Like x 1
  12. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

While we're on the topic of stupid liberal actresses, here's a heartwarming tale of Shirley MacLaine making a prat of herself:

One of the best stories [in the book] concerns the actress Shirley MacLaine, who was seated near Deng Xiaoping at a 1979 banquet. She explained to Deng how impressed she had been during a trip to China when she had met a Chinese scientist. He had told her how grateful he was to Mao for banishing him from his ivory tower and sending him to the countryside to learn about ordinary people and grow cabbages. “Deng, ever the polite listener, looked her squarely in the eye and said earnestly, ‘He was lying.’”

• Like Like x 4
  13. Reminds me of a story from Gulf War I which vaguely has the President or some other VIP entering a mess tent to "dine" with the troops. A member of the security detail told one soldier to clear his weapon to which the squaddie replied, 'You watch the VIP and I'll watch my weapon.' In your words, 'How does fuck off sound?'

I have to believe any unnecessary action on the part of the SS would result in an immediate pile-on by a bunch of pissed off grunts.

14. In terms of PoW's released you are correct, but it had other very positive outcomes for those held.

15. Probably not. Warrenpoint was a cowardly terrorist attack that saw the deaths of 18 servicemen and not some chopsy actress talking shite and making a cock of herself.

I really dont see how you can compare the two.

• Like Like x 2