Hannah & Mel -The Little & Large of Trans in the Army

Mel is to femininity what Katie Hopkins is to fat acceptance

ScreenHunter_77 Jan. 07 11.15.jpg

After being selected for officer training in the British Army at the age of 15, Captain Hannah Winterbourne is now second in command over a company of 100 soldiers. She’s also the highest ranking trans soldier in the UK. She came out one and a half years ago while in Germany, and while that came as a shock to a few of her colleagues, it hasn’t held her back and she is now the trans representative for the British Army. Despite what some people may think, Hannah says that the British Army is a fantastic employer for trans soldiers, and they’ve had a trans policy since 1999 – so that their trans employees can get on with being soliders, rather than just ‘trans soldiers’.

Helping her is Mel, a Private and the youngest serving soldier in the British Army – she’s also a trans woman. While she struggled in the early stages of her transition and found it difficult to find herself, she says that now being trans doesn’t affect her job at all outside of the occasional medical appointment.

I had to check the date to see if this wasn't some wind-up

Your point is?

Your point is?

Probably the same as this tripe being splashed across my Facebook page, except that I'm highlighting that Pte Shim needs a radical makeover.

They are just people trying to get on with their lives, do a good job etc. much like others do. There is no more to it than that.

Fair comment, but why the article? Most people get on with their lives in anonymity. All things being equal, so should they.

lert

LE
They are just people trying to get on with their lives, do a good job etc. much like others do. There is no more to it than that.

In fact, there's less to it than there used to be.

Fair comment, but why the article? Most people get on with their lives in anonymity. All things being equal, so should they.

It's a recruitment swizz. Recruit more men, as it's easier to attract young men to the military than women, then hope more opt for the chop and Hey Presto! you've boosted the Female's in the Army percentage and ticked the Shim box.

I'm just waiting for the first 'Can I go through my gender transition in basic' thread.

Agree, there is a lot to be said for anonymity. It is a small article when all is said and done, very quickly we will have moved on to more important matters.

"Ticked the Shim box.." I see what you did there although I think you drpped an "r"!

Have I read something wrong. How can Mel be the youngest serving soldier? Surely that is surpassed very quickly by each intake.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Latest Threads