Hangover Sunday

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by scotlass, Sep 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok its Sunday morning and for some strange and unknown reason im feeling slightly the worse for wear, im sure the champagne, brandy and whisky consummed last night had absolutely nothing to do with it, so i thought to brighten up the sunday of anyone else in the same delicate state i would post this little tale that i was sent, for no other reason than it made me laugh, im sure there must be lots more little stories out there in the land of ARRSE to cheer up a dull, hungover sunday.

Right then, now i normally take about 3 pints to tell this... it's the Ronnie Corbett in me you see!

So me and 12 other thrusting young Royal Marines Captains turn up at Staff College. 6 months of very dull, very boring men talking about guns and technology and history...yawn. So we, the official mascots of morale, lighten things up by turning up at the bar twice a week in fancy dress (Marine thing as mentioned...). You know Mr T, Smurfs, Gay Biker, Village People, Boxing Ring, Streetfighter II, Storm Troopers usual stuff.

Well, there's something about Bootneck Officers and Posh **** from the Cavalry and Guards Regiments: we have nothing in common but get on like the proverbial firey maisonette. We got very pally with a chap called Rupert (honestly!) and he was terribly posh, very well connected etc. Thought we were "interesting" and said we "simply had to keep in touch" after Staff College. So the scene is set...

About 6 months later, we get an email from the Rupert, "do we want to come to a bash, at Mummies hoyse, Harry and Wills might be there, the theme is feathers and fur....?" Do we, feck yes!

Sorry, distracted there for a minute...

Where was I, right, the "do"! So we do the ring round but there's only 2 Bootnecks in the UK at the alloted time (ops/courses etc) so me and a pal are the sole representatives of Her Majesty's Commandos available. We put the planning team together and do the operational analysis: it's posh, so no perviness, no black maskers and binbag costumes, and we'll have to keep aour arrses in. OK. So we decide to go for rented costumes, which goes against the grain as home-made is best, but with Royalty potentially present we can't afford to let the side down. We think about costumes, Feathers and Fur, so, what, dog-suits? Cat-suits (hmmm, too lateral)? Rio Carnival feathery body-stockings - too pervy? Red Indians with headdress? Nope, got to keep our arrses in. Then we get it, the perfect costumes.

We book the rooms in Chelsea Barracks, turn up early on Friday afternoon, have a couple of "sharpeners" in the bar and get changed.

Now, were standing at the bar in Chelsea Barracks in our silly rigs and all these posh plummy 2nd lieutenants are asking us questions about polo ponies and Pimms and it occurs to me - I never did ask Rupert about the protocol for these sorts of dos. And being a bit of a rough diamond I just made a few basic assumptions based on previous experience.

I can hear the faint whine of a warning siren in the back of my mind...

I shrug it off. This was a mistake. I think every good tale has a moral to it. The moral to this one is "never apply a Royal Marines template to a Civvy run ashore - it will end in tears"

We dive in the cab, give the cockney sparra the address and I voice my slight discomfort to my mukker. "What's the worst that can happen?" says he. I shrug, it's too late anyway, we have stopped outside Jeeves and Wooster's Pad. It's a "Mews" (I'm told). 7 stories high and mahoosive. As we get out I can hear the cabbie giggling in a way that makes me think he's seen Dom Jolly sketches go pear-shaped before. There's that siren again. Louder now.

I knock on the door and wait. I say door, all it was shy was a drawbridge and a portculliss. I swear to God, a FECKING BUTLER opened the door. A real 'un! Tails, Morning Suit, the -ish! With his eyes shut and in a meg-hoitytoity voice he manages to get out the words "Good eeeeevening, may I take your......" before he is struck dumb. His jaw actually went slack.

Inside the palace there is a sea of black tie and ballgowns, not the 200quid numbers from M&S like mine, the real ones! All the chicks have on feather boas and stoles and fur coats and feathery masks and stuff. All the gentlemen are wearing feather or fur trim on their Gieves and Hawkes Dinner Suits.

Outside the door me and Royal are in a slightly different attire: I'm in a chicken suit and Dan's wearing a bear costume.

I swear you could hear a pin drop before Rupert swoops down a wooden starcase and shout "my dear Booty fellows, do come in, have you met Tamara?" He didn't even skip a beat! Bear looks at Chicken, Chicken shrugs and looks at Bear. Bear turns to Butler and says "sorry, mate, honest mistake". Gives him his daysack and gets on it!

Best party I ever went to, by acountry mile. Harry and Wills didn't turn up in the end and we had to travel back to Chelsea Barracks on the tube at rush hour, but that's another dit!
  2. Fcuking BRILLIANT!

Nice one!
  3. Who came first, the chicken or the bear??
  4. Excellent! I also am suffering with a hangover from the exploits of a Friday/Saturday session, but that made me chuckle......heads still pounding though :)
  5. TO THE CHICKEN! ..... I can name and shame! PMSL. £1000 to keep my mouth shut! haha xxx
  6. I don't know about sore head before but I have now 8O

You could have at least given a heads up to the novel you just published. I had been teetering on the edge of hangoverdum and thats just tipped the balance.

Good story, though I'm amazed that there was no feminine attire worn. The last time I tried to borrow a fancy dress costume off a booty he opened up the larger of his two lockers to display what can only be described as last seasons entire stock of Debenhams and a few others from a less reputable outlet (never did get the name :x ). Nothing was left out even down to Ballgowns, shoes, gloves etc

If I remember rightly one of those ballgowns ended up the top of a rather large tower in the middle of Palace Bks a few years back, after a naked rampage round the camp. ahh the good old days, nothing up that tower any more but bird sh!t.
  7. I'll pay you in kindness!!!
  8. Save your money, packet of jaffa cakes and i will tell..
  9. What flavour?
  10. What do I get for a multi pack of three boxes :?

I'll throw in a hob nob for free....

nope just make that a knob, you can imagine its any flavour you want :wink:
  11. There is only one flavour of jaffa cakes all the rest are complete imposters!
  12. Probably gorganzola, ew gonna be sick lol
  13. Frankly, if you are sober enough on Sunday to have a hangover...you just aren't trying. Show drunk and incapable! Take three extra weekends on the lash...
  14. Good answer, you passed. Just testing.

What is it?
  15. LOL - You like Jaffa cakes - and Hob nobs - Seems much less work for you.