Hanging the Brick and other traditions

Z

Zarathustra

Tomorrow my unit are holding Hanging The Brick, a tradition that happens (almost) every year.

For those among you who don't have the benefit of being or having been a member of the first and finest regiment of foot guards I shall explain what exactly goes on.

The even of hanging the brick begins at around mid day with Officers Mess Vs Sgts & WOs Mess sport, which is massively tipped in favour of the Sgts & WOs mess of course.

Afterwards the Sgts & WOs Mess form up at the Guard Room in fancy dress and parade a brick which was taken from Hougoumont Farm during the Battle of Waterloo. They have to parade the brick around camp and into the Mess.

The LCPLs and Gdsm are tasked with stopping them, and if they succeed in getting the Brick to the Cpls Mess then the SGTs & WOs MESS get the beers in, but it's not that simple.

The last time we held hanging the brick we had blokes in hospital after being filled in by a NCO with a hockey stick, one LSGT was hit in the face with a sink and there were sheep guts thrown around with gay abandon. There were also rumours that some COYs had blokes keeping buckets of piss in their utility rooms for weeks filling them up ready to be used on the big day though I wasn't fortunate enough get near any of that. There were some cracking videos on Facebook and Youtube shortly after and it did look like a riot, sadly these appear to have been removed though if I manage to find some I'll be sure to post them here for your collective enjoyment.

It is good to settle old scores with "no come back" though we have been banned from wearing any balaclavas or any other form of mask to hide our faces.

I know the HCav and Coldstream Guards also hold a hanging the brick though I doubt there's are as fun as ours. What other units have or had strange traditions like this? Are they still going, or have they died out with disbanding and amalgamation of units?

Tomorrow my unit are holding Hanging The Brick, a tradition that happens (almost) every year.

For those among you who don't have the benefit of being or having been a member of the first and finest regiment of foot guards I shall explain what exactly goes on.
Has Her Indoors kicked you off the internet so she can go into chat?

It's a Life Guards tradition which is carried out at HCR the current RCM included the Blues last year.
Bloody hell! I'm guessing that was an order to attend do? Can't see many Blues & Royals Leaping over the fence to carry out a Lifeguard tradition! It's also carried out at HCMR too.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
You hang a brick? Sounds pretty fucking weak to me, ever crossed the equator on a warship?

Basically the Chief's mess all dress up as bears, get hammered and batter anyone who gets in their way. The junior rates set bear traps and ambushes around the ship and fuck up any bears that dare to venture into the messdecks. A night of heavy drinking and inter mess fighting ensues. Weapons of choice include steal toecap boots in pillow cases and fire extinguishers.

The following day after no sleep, you have a BBQ breakfast and get chucked in a paddling pool full of piss after eating some rancid chilli sauce concoction given to you by Neptune. Most people spew at this point which makes the pool even more pleasant for the next occupant. Then you all get drunk again and someone gives you a certificate.

Last time I did it, a bear had his nose broken, one lad fractured his spine after being thrown down a ladder while wearing a breathing apparatus set, one of Neptune's henchman got knocked out after cracking his head on the bottom of the pool and an entire messdeck was flooded after fire hoses were let off down the hatch.

Here are some lads going through the piss dunking part of the ceremony during one of the wars.

Nope, good time had by all. Even the chippy as fuck attached arms.
I suppose someone who joined in 93 would have done a good 18 years by now, so there can't be that many left (apart from the LE's & WO's) that remember having seperate regt's. I joined at HCR, but there still was that seperate units bit going on. Seems to have gone now! I'm guess HCMR might not as the troopers tend to stick to there own, even though the NCO's go out together.

Latest Threads