Hanging options?

I was watching a drama on the telly last night.Some poor sod destined for the gallows to be hung.
Eventually yer man was taken to the scaffold,hooded and noosed.All pretty standard so far.
When the fella ic the lever pulled the lever,instead of the trapdoors opening and the poor fella doing the Tyburn Jig,a counterweight pulled the rope tight and the guy was lifted above the scaffold by his neck and did the Jig.
I guess this is still a hanging,but does it have an alternative name?

I've heard of this so I thought I'd give it some quick research and I came across this site!

http://suicideproject.org/2013/12/partial-suspension-hanging-effectively/

FFS. I've heard of internet sites where people discuss these things but I have never come across one before.
and on top of that, I was moving a printer out of a cupboard this morning when I found a carrier bag with my mothers funeral cards in it.

What a cheerful day today's turning into!

I've given up on the research by the way.

fu2

LE
Semms a bit nasty. Instead of him dropping and breaking his neck ( a quick death) he gets pulled up and strangled ( a slow death)

JoeCivvie

ADC
RIP
From memory the 'hangee' has to drop his/her own body length for a clean neck break. If it's too long a drop you risk pulling the head off; too short and the neck doesn't break and the person is strangled. (This is what used to happen in the good old days, so their friends would hang on to their ankles to give them a quick death).

A rope stretches, you should weigh the condemned person first and then do a trial drop with a sandbag the same as the body weight, to stretch the rope.

Joe Pierrepoint.

CplFoodspoiler

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Now if it was me I would prefer the quick option. However, there are many to whom I would gladly see enduring the second.

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
From memory the 'hangee' has to drop his/her own body length for a clean neck break. If it's too long a drop you risk pulling the head off; too short and the neck doesn't break and the person is strangled. (This is what used to happen in the good old days, so their friends would hang on to their ankles to give them a quick death).

A rope stretches, you should weigh the condemned person first and then do a trial drop with a sandbag the same as the body weight, to stretch the rope.

Joe Pierrepoint.

The drop is/was calculated according to bodyweight. Too little and you swing with your eyeballs on stalks for a bit before you expire. Too much and your head pops off.

Didn't that happen to Saddam?

Don't think his head came off but his neck was allegedly visibly injured in a way consistent with the rope trying to tear his head off.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
A while back I had to do some research on hangings for a debate I was involved in.

A quick search on Liveleak of 'Iran hanging' shows a variety of different methods with varying degrees of success.

Sometimes the victim dies pretty much straight away, even with a short drop or being yanked up with a crane.

There's also a vid of an Austrian Nazi getting the good news by being hanged from some weird post and pulley contraption. He only drops about a foot but dies instantly.

On the other hand the yanks used to exclusively use a 7ft drop for everyone, some died instantly, some had their heads ripped off and others slowly strangled.

The only system that appears to be 100% reliable is the British 'tailored' drop method as employed by Pierrepoint (but not invented by him) and exported around the world to the likes of Singapore and the colonies. The victim's weight, age, strength and overall health are all taken into account, as are factors like previous injuries to the neck.

What a nice conversation for a chilled out Sunday afternoon.

Semms a bit nasty. Instead of him dropping and breaking his neck ( a quick death) he gets pulled up and strangled ( a slow death)

Provided that an allowance is made for the friction of the pulley wheel, there's no reason why it shouldn't have the same effect as a straight drop. In fact, in the event of a miscalculation resulting in strangulation, the execution could be stopped more effectively by merely lifting the counterweight than by struggling to raise a thrashing body.

Cutting the rope wouldn't be a quick task either.

I feel this matter requires some scientific experimentation... Volunteers?

Yokel

LE
The drop is/was calculated according to bodyweight. Too little and you swing with your eyeballs on stalks for a bit before you expire. Too much and your head pops off.

Didn't that happen to Saddam?

At least he didn't have to hang around for long.

Last edited:
It looked to me like the enormous knot on the rope used to hang Saddam forced his neck to an angle that must have killed him instantly when he was dropped. There was a picture of him lying in the back of a car and that showed a pronounced crick in his neck that certainly didn't look healthy.

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
It looked to me like the enormous knot on the rope used to hang Saddam forced his neck to an angle that must have killed him instantly when he was dropped. There was a picture of him lying in the back of a car and that showed a pronounced crick in his neck that certainly didn't look healthy.

So it broke his neck and you saw a picture of him looking like he had a broken neck.

What's botched about that?

Having had to remove a few self-suspensions, in the majority of the cases the CoD was given as asphyxiation.

The well-tanned face is usually a combat indicator: that, and the lack of breathing, of course.

Awesomo_2000

Old-Salt
Didn't the Andy have some sort of pulley system? To stop the body swinging about?

I think the Middle East have a method of doing it with a crane.

So it broke his neck and you saw a picture of him looking like he had a broken neck.

What's botched about that?

I didn't say it was botched. I'm not an expert but I thought that the neck being broken was what was supposed to happen. The knot in the rope was quite large and the angle of his neck was quite pronounced probably because of that was all I said.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The yank method has a secondary benefit of the big fat knot smacking the victim in the head and knocking them out. Means that even if the drop is too short and they strangle to death, they probably won't feel it.

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
I didn't say it was botched. I'm not an expert but I thought that the neck being broken was what was supposed to happen. The knot in the rope was quite large and the angle of his neck was quite pronounced probably because of that was all I said.
I didn't say you did.

I just heard it was.

Tom9748

Old-Salt
I've heard of this so I thought I'd give it some quick research and I came across this site!

http://suicideproject.org/2013/12/partial-suspension-hanging-effectively/

FFS. I've heard of internet sites where people discuss these things but I have never come across one before.
and on top of that, I was moving a printer out of a cupboard this morning when I found a carrier bag with my mothers funeral cards in it.

What a cheerful day today's turning into!

I've given up on the research by the way.

Just had a gander at that website my,there are some fooked up empty individuals on there,makes my life seem utterly wonderful in comparison.Every silver cloud and all that I suppose!!