Hanger steak

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Krek_Brizzle, Nov 7, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've just popped out to the local 'proper' butcher and bought a hanger steak on the strength of something I read in a sunday supplement a few weeks ago. It looks significantly different from the supermarket fare I'm used to preparing and I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on how to get the best out of it.

I'm aware that it will be tougher than any prime cuts, and shouldn't be done past medium rare. I usually rub in some oil, s&p and garlic granules and sear on a griddle for about 2-3 mins each side before 'tenting' in foil and leaving for about five minutes before serving. Any pearls of culinary wisdom?
  2. Err..what the hell is a Hanger steak? Not a wah, never heard of the thing til now.
  3. Cooking Skirt and Hanger Steaks

Let us know how it goes?
  4. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

The Mexican and Spanish community in California have some great ways of doing cheaper cuts of beef like hanger steak, brisket and beef skirt.

Carne Asada is absolutely banging and consists of lots of garlic, citrus and cumin. Google a good recipe.

The best by far is the Mexican Tri-tip, it's basically a slowly barbecued brisket in lots of herbs and spices, the flavour is similar to tandoori chicken or tikka but with very tender beef instead.

I reckon either of these would work well with hanger steak.

Nom nom nom nom.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Pretty much sick on a plate,,you want a recipe for skirt ask my missus....

Attached Files:

• st.jpg
      File size:
      46.2 KB
  6. I see in the Wiki that the cut is the bit in the middle of the "Plate"

I've never come across this cut until I went to a large butcher/ freezer place.

There is a "plate" either side which corresponds to the belly pork joint.

They come in around 4 to 8 lb joints, with short ribs underneath, this particular place knocks them out for a little over a quid a pound.

There's a fair amount of waste, with the ribs, connective tissue and fat layers, but roasted in a slow, cool oven for around 4 hours, it's our favourite joint, succulent!!!

Also, the leftovers make superb cottage pie, and the ribs make a lovely stock, if you see it, snatch it.
  7. Terroirs Restaurant near Charing Cross serves this and it was one of the best meals I've ever eaten. Served up with a red wine reduction, pureed potatoes (a heart stopping amount of cream and butter in them), and a head of roast wet garlic.

Cooked it once myself, the butcher asked if I wanted the 'tender' or the skirt. Apparently there's a tender part of the hanger sometimes known as the 'butchers steak'. Tastes as good as sirloin, but tender as fillet.
  8. Was interesting. My cut came from the Ginger Pig in Marylebone, and had all the inedible tissue already removed. Gave it three minutes each side on the griddle and was a little undercooked, but pretty good. Obviously not as tender as a prime cut, but you can't argue with the price; I got far more than I could comfortably eat and it only cost me £5. I would advise quite a heavy marinade/rub though, otherwise it might be a little bland.
    • Like Like x 1