Handling sleep deprivation

I got to work about 6:30 am this morning to beat the traffic. Usually after lunch lack of sleep starts to affect me. How do you guys handle it when your on tour?? Especially when your holding one position for a couple hours?

[quote="Especially when your holding one position for a couple hours?[/quote]

That statue trade, is the worst. :D

A bit of self-discipline usually works. Drink plenty of water and if your feeling totally fecked, something with some sugar for a quick burst of energy.

Was at sandhurst with a huge rugby player who, no matter what, could not stay awake. Fantastic morale boost to see him monging like an 18 stone baby. even funnier when he fell asleep whilst digging a trench and fell flat on his arrse.

wah?

got to work about 6:30 am this morning to beat the traffic. Usually after lunch lack of sleep starts to affect me. How do you guys handle it when your on tour??

So..... You been at work for 7 1/4 Hours. Thats not sleep deprivation thats normal. Get mummy to send you bed earlier. Don't waste our Time. Sleep deprivation is something of an occupational hazard with us. come back tommorrow when you've been awake for about 30 Hours - You will then start to feel the effects.

All you need to do is get fit, the fitter you are the less you feel like napping in the afternoon, and getting to bed about 10pm is good.

no empire, im in trinidad . we are some hours behind england. what im asking is "How do you guys handle it when your on tour??
" simple question eh?! Does the military have any particular way of handling it or teaching recruits how to handle it? I'm just curious. And yes I've pulled 30+ workdays on projects. so fack off.

stewchicken said:
And yes I've pulled 30+ workdays on projects. so fack off.
Wow, really? 30+ days. I think the army could learn from you. What advice can you give us? :roll:

I handle it by becoming increasingly grumpy and disinterested followed by self pity and work avoidance. If these have not worked for me I try watching the flames from my hexy telly for a while before pulling myself together and hiding somewhere warm.

Sadly there are no ways to get used to sleep deprivation, there is however a well known and certified remedy - sleep. Even ten mins head down will do you good so if you aren't doing anything bang out your immediate admin and get your head down. Soldiers in the field should be either ready to go, getting ready to go or asleep - preferably asleep.

Red bull works for me wether it was the caffiene or the disgusting taste never sure .4 days of little sleep find my self monging it big time and quite prepared to kill anyone i can for some sleep .

Paint some eyes on your eyelids so that when you do get some egyptian pt at your desk (obv doesn't work in the field) it still looks like you're awake!!

Alternatively, as a few posters have said, get your swede down earlier the night before. The human body begins to suffer if it gets less than 6 hours kip a night. Alternatively, you could start an addiction to very strong filtered coffee-that can help

nah, never used caffine pills in my final year when coding and cramming. used brewed coffee, aka. HongWing :)

why i made this thread : i remembered this morning in the taxi about the US army doing some research in sleep deprivation of soldiers and how it affected them. eg. some guys started halucinating etc.

stewchicken said:
nah, never used caffine pills in my final year when coding and cramming. used brewed coffee, aka. HongWing :)

why i made this thread : i remembered this morning in the taxi about the US army doing some research in sleep deprivation of soldiers and how it affected them. eg. some guys started halucinating etc.
Dont know about anyone else but I start getting (very realistic) hallucinations after around 4 days of no sleep (experienced it twice so far and in no hurry to repeat the fun)

Caffeine, nicotine, tannin and sugar in humongus quanties at regular intervals.

oh and being scared shitless that someone is going to rip you a new arrsehole if you do fall asleep.

Thats how I handle lack of sleep.

Pro Plus is good but only has 50mg of caffeine per dose (less than one cup of instant coffee). Makes you ratty after a couple days and as someone said, you end up with eyes like a scared kid. Thermogenic fat-burner pills are much better. 200mg caffeine per dose but they include ephidrine and aspirin so they lift your mood slightly too. Just make sure you force yourself to eat because they have an appetite-suppressing function. Xenadrine RFA-1 is a good one. Comes in an ephedrine-free version too. A 200mg caffeine/10mg ephidrine ratio is the one that one that works.

a bloke i did telic with found a web site some techy nerdy site which sold all sort of caffeine filled products .ordered loads of weird
shit some were disgusting .choclate coated coffee beans were yummy thoughbut quite easy to casually eat an awful lot of caffeine without thinking about it . Got stood too once as the sentry said there was an elphant in the woods was so the hallucintions seem very real.