Handheld GPS (yes I know)

Done a quick search but the choice, it seems, is almost endless and is really a personal thing.

So, what handheld or wrist GPS would people recommend for use in Afghan (and possibly the UK later on) right now. I appreciate map and compass is still top dog but GPS seems to make it easier for a quick check, etc. Things to consider though:

£100(ish) is my budget
Easy to use
Hard wearing
Good battery life.

Any help?

Try and get a refurbished Foretrex 401, I got one 3 Years ago and its still going fine, inly cost me £80 as well.

I use a Suunto X10m
It's a wrist watch with built in GPS.

It's a bit on the pricy side as well as a little chunky as an everyday watch but does all the usual things expected of a GPS;
(set waypoints, download to software like GoogleEarth etc, altimeter, barometer)
It's also good as a watch;
(alarm, dual time zones, red backlight ect)

It's chargeable from the mains rather than a usual battery. The only downside I've found is that when using all the features regularly, it eats power and requires regular charging...not good if on ex/ops where you don't have regular access to a plug socket.

the_beer-man,

I have a Garmin Etrex (purchased in 2003) which I do not use. If you are interested, PM me.

Shiny

I guess the_beer_man is not interested, anyone else want it?

Shiny

the_beer_man,

See PM.
Shiny

I'm still using the basic yellow etrex I got on a whim years ago, its pretty much bomb proof even though it has less features than a free app on my iphone.

I dont go anywhere without a map and compass though.

I sent my Garmin 62csx to Hols for Hero's for auctioning around Christmas time. Havent seen it up for auction so they may still have it.

Apologies,
Should have updated the thread to say that the_beer_man is getting the GPS I offered.

The parcel tracker currently says that the Post Office left a 'While you were out' card.

Shiny

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
amazing__lobster Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets 2
karhea Weapons, Equipment & Rations 37
cog_gunner Weapons, Equipment & Rations 9