• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

HandGuns vs. Bows

handgun or bow?

  • bow

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • handgun

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0
#1
As the title says, pretty much.
Which would you rather carry, a handgun or a bow and arrow?

Personally a bow, as you can re-use the ammunition and they have less movin parts to use. Also, whomever you hit with said arrow is going to have a much harder time moving around with a 2 foot long arrow sticking out of a limb, and a razor-edged head will carve up the muscle inside.
 
#4
Guess what. Just by the post I can tell you aren't in the Army.

If you miss with your first arrow I've filled you with an entire mag of 9mm rounds. If I have a stoppage I will carry out the correct drills and fire again before your second arrow. I think I made my point?
 
#5
ub3rb0wl said:
As the title says, pretty much.
Which would you rather carry, a handgun or a bow and arrow?

Personally a bow, as you can re-use the ammunition and they have less movin parts to use. Also, whomever you hit with said arrow is going to have a much harder time moving around with a 2 foot long arrow sticking out of a limb, and a razor-edged head will carve up the muscle inside.
Are you a hoodie terrorising your local estate :?

Edited to say.
Could we have a Neither Im not a Phycho Walt in the poll aswell.
 
#6
It's also a bit of a bugger trying to find a handy shoulder holster for your longbow.

Clint Eastwood's "Go ahead punk, make my day" speech would also be a trifle pointless as it's extremely easy to see if someone has an arrow in their bow or not.
 
#10
It's also down to training. In ye olden days it took a life time to master the long bow and it was law that you practiced. Firearms where easy to use and did not take a great deal of training or skill to get a result - think musket volley fire or Operation Trident.
 
#11
It doesn't take a lifetime to master the longbow. What takes time is strengthening the muscles which must be used to draw a 100lb bow or more and keeping those muscles in trim with regular practice. Obviously archers would work on accuracy at the same time. It's hard work drawing a 100lb+ bow at a rate of 12 flights per minute.
 
#13
Fallschirmjager said:
It doesn't take a lifetime to master the longbow. What takes time is strengthening the muscles which must be used to draw a 100lb bow or more and keeping those muscles in trim with regular practice. Obviously archers would work on accuracy at the same time. It's hard work drawing a 100lb+ bow at a rate of 12 flights per minute.
True, a good friend of mine can hit a man size target at 200 yards with his longbow, not once but 25 times in a row in just under 2 minutes. Mind you he's 6'4" and ginger too 8O . Pop down to Bisley or Apps court he's been using the longbow for years and I wouldn't fancy my chances against him starting 200 yards out, me with my Browning and him with his bow :omfg:
 
#15
Fallschirmjager said:
It doesn't take a lifetime to master the longbow. What takes time is strengthening the muscles which must be used to draw a 100lb bow or more and keeping those muscles in trim with regular practice. Obviously archers would work on accuracy at the same time. It's hard work drawing a 100lb+ bow at a rate of 12 flights per minute.
Ok, I may have over exadurated the time frame just a smidgen :D
But this brings in why cross bows came in as they did not need a human gorilla to use them.

But 12 flights in 60 seconds is a hell of a lot better than 3 rounds/60 sec with a musket (and more accurate).
 
#16
The crossbow hasn't got a patch on the longbow. A longbow archer could let loose 3 times as many flights as a crossbowman. The longbow has also got much more distance and power. In fact, in late medieval Britain anyone with a crossbow would have been regarded as scum and received a kicking!
 

Sixty

ADC
Moderator
Book Reviewer
#19
Fallschirmjager said:
The crossbow hasn't got a patch on the longbow. A longbow archer could let loose 3 times as many flights as a crossbowman. The longbow has also got much more distance and power. In fact, in late medieval Britain anyone with a crossbow would have been regarded as scum and received a kicking!
Would agree on speed and range but a crossbow stores a hell of a lot more energy and so is more powerful (if my memory hasn't packed in again).
 
#20
Fallschirmjager said:
Hugh_Jardon said:
Archers, the maroon machine of the medieval period?
Yes. Lower class scum but worth every penny! :D
They were not cheap though, Henry V paid £15,000 for 1 million arrows in 1415, just imagine what £15K bought in thoses days, and it would have taken his archers at Agincourt just under 20 minutes to loose them off. They didn't half "brass up" the french :wink: ... 50,000 rnds a minute or 800 a second 8O
 

Latest Threads