HandGuns vs. Bows

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by ub3rb0wl, Dec 30, 2007.

1. bow

2. handgun

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As the title says, pretty much.
    Which would you rather carry, a handgun or a bow and arrow?

Personally a bow, as you can re-use the ammunition and they have less movin parts to use. Also, whomever you hit with said arrow is going to have a much harder time moving around with a 2 foot long arrow sticking out of a limb, and a razor-edged head will carve up the muscle inside.
  2. Depends what you want to do with them. If you where re-enacting Robin Hood then a Colt .45 will be out of place.
  3. This is ridiculous, I don't even know why I voted.
  4. Guess what. Just by the post I can tell you aren't in the Army.

If you miss with your first arrow I've filled you with an entire mag of 9mm rounds. If I have a stoppage I will carry out the correct drills and fire again before your second arrow. I think I made my point?
  5. Are you a hoodie terrorising your local estate :?

Edited to say.
    Could we have a Neither Im not a Phycho Walt in the poll aswell.
  6. It's also a bit of a bugger trying to find a handy shoulder holster for your longbow.

Clint Eastwood's "Go ahead punk, make my day" speech would also be a trifle pointless as it's extremely easy to see if someone has an arrow in their bow or not.
  7. Reggie prefers the tomahawk, while I tend to go for the catapult depending on terrain, weather etc
  8. Didn't you two do the trials for the Black & Decker nail gun?
  9. It's also down to training. In ye olden days it took a life time to master the long bow and it was law that you practiced. Firearms where easy to use and did not take a great deal of training or skill to get a result - think musket volley fire or Operation Trident.
  10. It doesn't take a lifetime to master the longbow. What takes time is strengthening the muscles which must be used to draw a 100lb bow or more and keeping those muscles in trim with regular practice. Obviously archers would work on accuracy at the same time. It's hard work drawing a 100lb+ bow at a rate of 12 flights per minute.
  11. Bugger me, William Tells, joined Para Regt.
  12. True, a good friend of mine can hit a man size target at 200 yards with his longbow, not once but 25 times in a row in just under 2 minutes. Mind you he's 6'4" and ginger too 8O . Pop down to Bisley or Apps court he's been using the longbow for years and I wouldn't fancy my chances against him starting 200 yards out, me with my Browning and him with his bow :omfg:
  13. You must be bored of it now M_D_N :twisted:

Anyway less of the bad language ub3rbowl is only a young 15 year old whos into weapons.
  14. Ok, I may have over exadurated the time frame just a smidgen :D
    But this brings in why cross bows came in as they did not need a human gorilla to use them.

But 12 flights in 60 seconds is a hell of a lot better than 3 rounds/60 sec with a musket (and more accurate).