HandGuns vs. Bows

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by ub3rb0wl, Dec 30, 2007.

?
  1. bow

37.9%
  2. handgun

62.1%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As the title says, pretty much.
    Which would you rather carry, a handgun or a bow and arrow?

Personally a bow, as you can re-use the ammunition and they have less movin parts to use. Also, whomever you hit with said arrow is going to have a much harder time moving around with a 2 foot long arrow sticking out of a limb, and a razor-edged head will carve up the muscle inside.

2. Depends what you want to do with them. If you where re-enacting Robin Hood then a Colt .45 will be out of place.

3. This is ridiculous, I don't even know why I voted.

4. Guess what. Just by the post I can tell you aren't in the Army.

If you miss with your first arrow I've filled you with an entire mag of 9mm rounds. If I have a stoppage I will carry out the correct drills and fire again before your second arrow. I think I made my point?

5. Are you a hoodie terrorising your local estate :?

Edited to say.
    Could we have a Neither Im not a Phycho Walt in the poll aswell.

6. It's also a bit of a bugger trying to find a handy shoulder holster for your longbow.

Clint Eastwood's "Go ahead punk, make my day" speech would also be a trifle pointless as it's extremely easy to see if someone has an arrow in their bow or not.

7. Reggie prefers the tomahawk, while I tend to go for the catapult depending on terrain, weather etc

8. Didn't you two do the trials for the Black & Decker nail gun?

9. It's also down to training. In ye olden days it took a life time to master the long bow and it was law that you practiced. Firearms where easy to use and did not take a great deal of training or skill to get a result - think musket volley fire or Operation Trident.

10. It doesn't take a lifetime to master the longbow. What takes time is strengthening the muscles which must be used to draw a 100lb bow or more and keeping those muscles in trim with regular practice. Obviously archers would work on accuracy at the same time. It's hard work drawing a 100lb+ bow at a rate of 12 flights per minute.

11. Bugger me, William Tells, joined Para Regt.

12. True, a good friend of mine can hit a man size target at 200 yards with his longbow, not once but 25 times in a row in just under 2 minutes. Mind you he's 6'4" and ginger too 8O . Pop down to Bisley or Apps court he's been using the longbow for years and I wouldn't fancy my chances against him starting 200 yards out, me with my Browning and him with his bow :omfg:

13. You must be bored of it now M_D_N :twisted:

Anyway less of the bad language ub3rbowl is only a young 15 year old whos into weapons.

14. Ok, I may have over exadurated the time frame just a smidgen :D
    But this brings in why cross bows came in as they did not need a human gorilla to use them.

But 12 flights in 60 seconds is a hell of a lot better than 3 rounds/60 sec with a musket (and more accurate).