Handgrenade Clears IOW Copshop

I bet this caused a few twitchy botties!!!!!

Station cleared in grenade alert
A controlled explosion has taken place at a police station on the Isle of Wight after an elderly woman handed in a live grenade to the front counter.
The woman had found it while clearing out a derelict house at Gunville, near Newport, Isle of Wight.

The building was cleared at lunchtime after police noticed the firing pin had been disturbed and the grenade was in danger of exploding.

High Street and Quay Street have been shut and nearby offices evacuated.

Police cordoned off the surrounding area while bomb disposal teams work at the scene.

A police spokesman said: "An elderly woman brought the device into the station after finding it.

"The firing pin was disturbed at some point between the grenade being found and its arrival at the police station.

"Pedestrians are advised to stay away from the affected area."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/6302351.stm

I SINCERELY hope that they didn't wind this one off in the station...

Out in the field next door perhaps, just to make the point, but not wrecking the front desk, PLEASE...

36Ms used to turn up all the time. Don't know what the current yield is but it used to be 3-4 a month a few years back. I think every squaddie coming back from europe had one!

It used to be WW1 junk in the seventies, now it is WW2 - grandad pops his clogs and whaddya know - two grenades, a luger and a coal scuttle helmet in the loft...

Interesting to know what will turn up thirty years from now... Macarovs and RPGs perhaps? (Or are the RMP any better than in the past?)

Is the old lady being detained under the terrorism act and shipped of to gauntanamo?

How the f**k did they lose the firing pin, sounds like one of the coppers fancied a play with something that goes bang, pulled out the pin, shat himself and called in EOD.