Hand Scanner Radio

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by spiffy, Feb 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. These scanner thingys are as little as £15 on ebay and claim you can listen in to Police, CB & air traffic etc etc. Do they actually do as it says on the ? if my friend (obviously) wanted to listen in to the rozzer network could he ? I myself wouldn't do anything like that as i expect it's classed as naughty.

2. i think most police forces are now digital and most of the cheap scanners you can buy will only recieve annolog signals such as cab companys and the like.

3. Police radios about 20ish years ago, now they're on sort of secure networks. You can still pick up some air chit-chat but not as much as a few years back.

CC_TA

4. Bought one about 2 weeks a go can only listen to aircraft and radio one, dont pay £15 but if you want i will send you mine for free, police are working on encrypted channels now.

5. Bought one about 2 weeks a go can only listen to aircraft and radio one, dont pay £15 but if you want i will send you mine for free, police are working on encrypted channels now.

6. BTW...

1/ It's illegal to listen to anything that is classed as 'non broadcast' unless you have a licence to do so (but this rule is next best thing to being unenforceable)

2/ It's also an offence to pass on anything that you may have heard (by accident, of course) to a third party

So, if like many you do listen in to this & that, then the answer is to be VERY careful.

7. Police forces now use AIRWAVES which is encrypted.

CB you should be able to listen to, if you really are that sad.

I'm pretty sure that Air traffic is a different frequency range to what scanners are allowed, but i'm sure a bleep will be able to tell you more.

I would ask posters to consider their responses carefully as any thread involving frequencies and possibly frequency inhibition could step into some very sensitive area's that form a vital protection to the guys on the ground.

8. BTW...

1/ It's illegal to listen to anything that is classed as 'non broadcast' unless you have a licence to do so (but this rule is next best thing to being unenforceable)

2/ It's also an offence to pass on anything that you may have heard (by accident, of course) to a third party

So, if like many you do listen in to this & that, then the answer is to be VERY careful.

9. BTW...

10. Are scanners and Tx equipment still illegal in NI?

11. Ahem, my friend says thanks for the offer but it seems they don't do want he..or she...wants.

12. Just remembered you can listen into airline cockpit conversations on a scanner, thats why you get all those sado's hanging around at airports.

I don't know, whats wrong with a good locomotive nowadays ;-)

13. yep don't bother it was ok till 18 months or so ago now they all have converted to airwave/tetra you'll hear zilch, btw there is a yahoo group called PROMA or some such, the excel spreadsheet they produce has got some scary freqs on it or used to, now mainly its pubwatch and shop security.

14. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

They are so encrypted we cant listen to each other!

Also why would you want to listen to the police attending domestic after domestic- It's hardly The Sweeny!

15. I have one, got it in some communication shop in Belfast a few years ago. Dont think its illegal.