Hamstring Pain

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by BoringUsername1, Mar 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I've been suffering recently with particularly sore and tight hamstrings. It really started after my last 5 miler. I'm trying to regularly do 5 and 10 milers and this has been going on for probably 2-3 months. It's now been nearly 2 weeks since a did a reasonably paced 5 miler having knocked off a good 6 minutes of my previous time but despite stretching every morning, evening and during the day I still get soreness in the backs of my thighs. I'm loathed to go and see a GP or physio because it'll just be a come back in two months, rest, still not happy, wait for a million years for a referral etc.

There was nothing of note in the run, no jarring movements or over striding. I've even been cycling less so I don't think it's bicycle induced shortening (for those who believe in that theory)

Anyone else get this? Like all of a sudden?

Cheers,
    WAID

2. First off I'll say - are you stretching shortly before you run? If so, quit it.
    Next up, the problem is it could be various things, it's hard to say - and nigh impossible over text. It could be anything from a fresh mild tear or one healing, or could be other muscle groups applying pressure to that area. Could even be you're stretching like a halfwit and causing damage via fighting against the muscle. Funny thing about forums, too many reasons to say and not enough evidence to pinpoint it down.

3. I'd be inclined to agree with G.P about not over stretching before your run

I had similar problem with my calfs, i hadn't been runnunig for some time and after several 1 mile runs my calfs would seize, it took me roughly a year to get them in shape but still get some stiffness after 10 milers..

4. I didn't say don't overstretch just prior to running, I said don't at all.
    Taking your joint slowly through full range of motion ie leg swings etc, yes. Stretching, no.

5. Other funny thing, "something similar" is just as bad as going off bugger all.

6. on what basis are u saying this?

7. Apart from the obvious - studies show that static rather than dynamic stretching, rather than preparing muscles etc for activity, actually has a sedation type effect on them that lasts for a good period that decreases contractile capability etc among other things. On top of that, you also have the fact that most people see static stretching as fighting against the muscle and invariably cause damage, so you're effectively going in predamaged.

Static stretching before activity is old business and was dropped professionally some time ago and for a good reason, the only people who tend to do it now are unaware individuals training on their lonesome. Dynamic stretching ie leg swings etc are used as they provide a gradual progression in actively moving joints through their full ROM in a manner replicating actual usage patterns, in other words it actually does what you want - warms up, opens out and kicks up your body for the activity you're heading into.

8. Stone the fakin crows, i never knew that, you learn somethin new everyday

All hail GrizzlyPanda :D

9. I still see professional teams use static stretching as part of their warm ups, are you saying theres no place for it at all or that by itself, its no good?

10. As I said, it's a rather silly move and one based in old and incorrect thought. Even PTIs tagged onto it being negative a bit back and stick to dynamic pre and static post work. As I also nudged at, overlooking the aforementioned issues, if you're doing dynamic in light of a warmup (which professionals do) - why would you want to use static aswell anyway? It's senseless action with no purpose, just going through the motions for the sake of it, you've already accomplished what you want.