Hamstring injury: need advice on cardio.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by FrankCastle, May 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've strained my left hamstring. :evil: Obviously, running is out. So can anyone suggest an alternative form of cardio?

My local gym has plenty of cardio machines, but I never use them. So I'm unsure which is the best/safest while recovering from injury.

Thanks. :)
  2. In the same situation myself at the moment mate. Physio has recommended bike, cross trainer and swimming. He said so long as your foot doesn't leave the floor or peice of equipment your on then it's ok.

Hope this helps.

3. Thanks, mate. I was considering the Cross trainer, but wanted other people's opinion...
  4. Stairmasters are also good. I find the hills programme on them is brilliant for increasing the strength and endurance of both your legs and your lungs.
  5. Cross-trainer and swimming both very good. Using bike not brilliant as over-use shortens the hamstring unless thoroughly stretched off afterwards and if you have injured it already,you may want to be careful doing a thorough stretch.
    Stairmaster also good.
  6. Personally I would say bike, but ask your doctor first. I managed to maintain a decent level of fitness when I had a major knee injury a few years ago by using the static bike.