Hampshire News reports possible U-turn on scrapping Harriers

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by BuggerAll, Apr 29, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Hampshire News is reporting a possibility that Harriers that are currently mothballed are to be brought back into service and deployed on HMS ILLUSTRIOUS.

I'm sceptical but...

Bloody iPhone. It didn't copy my link.
  2. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

3. Rejoice rejoice rej....Wait a min this sounds far to sensible.

Don't tell SoI he will have kittens.
  4. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

well it would make sense as the tornado fleet will fall out of the sky soon with overwork and wing stress while the typhoons are grounded due to lack of spares.

hey there isnt a warehouse full of jaguars kicking around is there?

I wouldnt have thought illustrious would have needed much of a refit to load harrier in anycase mind you they arent likely to saw the ramp off lusty incase they sell it to one of the other harrier navies. I guess its too much of a backpedal to unscrap the ark royal and admit they fcuked up
  5. What to say.
    These would be the Ground Attack Harriers and not the 'Air Defence' variant.
    "Planes could yet be deployed in Libya"
    They really are looking at a long term 'No Fly' game.
    Going to be expensive for all 'Wars' are.
    Use your Goolies Dave get out of the Stan now, this year and have your War close to home.
    Save a fortune in crab air miles.

6. Far too sensible a proposal for our pig-headed and pig-ignorant politicians.
  7. Harrier, no manpower, no tooling. Money needed to regenerate airfield and services, ATC, Catering, Fire, Med, etc. Money available??
  8. Didn't they make quite a few pilots redundant?
  9. No chance that this will happen - its would make Cameron and his crew look even more foolish than they already do.
  10. Not really, it would show that they realise they made a mistake and are taking steps to rectify it. I would never see Blair or Brown doing that.
    • Like Like x 3
  11. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

I don't think the RAF & RN has binned everything

I doubt ATC,Medics,Fire etc have been made redundant due to an Airframe being retired
    Wittering and Cottesmore are still there
    The Ark is still parked up waiting the pikeys to come and cart it away
    I should imagine their are still enough aircrew knocking about who would fly it

Maybe Cameron will adopt the "It takes a man to admit when he's wrong pose"
    Although the smug looks and letters from Sharkey Ward Snr & Jnr might put him off plus Milliband the even denser will be all over it
  12. 'Calm down dear, we made a mistake'
    • Like Like x 2
  13. I don't think the RAF & RN has binned everything

No, but BAE, who are the Design Authority, made a lot of their people redundant and they have moved on to pastures new. Although the airfields are still there a lot of the equipment has been decommissioned, plus, a lot of the manpower were in trades that had a manning shortfall anyway.

In addition to all of that, there are fleets within the fleet. Different modification states, engine types etc. Too much of a rats nest to unravel now. The deed has been done.
  14. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

dont bae still do upgrades for the other operators or do we just get the yanks to service them for us instead as the dollar is crashing again?

bae wouldnt trash/remodel a plant until they had another option for it, the nimrod plant they destroyed the airframes not the factory. if the workers have gone then they stick a couple of rentacops in there and get the maximum tax breaks for the plant then bulldoze it in 10 years when they cant offset it anymore.