Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Tango, Feb 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As the title suggests, I'm after a small, lightweight hammock that can be packed down fairly small. I've checked out this one on RV-Ops, but I'm after second opinions, if anyone's got a recommendation.

2. If you are looking at hot country overseas use,

I seriously recommend the Hennessey Hammock.

Takes minutes to put up, is very comfortable, give you a nice little admin area and you can bring a weapon in with you if needed. Packs down small and is easily dried and aired.
  3. 7.62 bayonet used one during our holiday last year, I was very envious of it as it was a delight to sleep without sweat soaking your back.

If I remember correctly he purchased it from SOF quite cheap too.
  4. Great, thanks for the tips guys, I'll have a closer look at them both.
  5. Without doubt Henesy Hamock, a few bob but totaly worth every peny!
  6. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

I'll throw my thruppence worth in on the side of Hennessy.
    You can set it up within one minute and it really is midge- and mossie-proof.

You may be able to get a couple of quid off if you shop around, but if you buy from RV Ops you won't get any rondfok.
    Just remember to get the Snakeskins too, they make pitching & breaking much easier.

If you're very pushed for space/weight or need something more tactical go for a Thai hammock.
  7. Made by Gelert, cannot remember how much but it was cheap, less than £20. It packs down really small (about the same size as an army water bottle). Very quickly set up too...
  8. RVOps

RVOps Sponsor

I would second what Golf one one says about the Hennessy. The travel hammock has its uses but it depends on where/country etc etc you are going to use it.
  9. Hmmm. So you wouldnt reccomend the £6 hammock but the one you sell you £95? Makes sense
  10. RVOps

RVOps Sponsor

The travel hammock would not be an ideal hammock in the jungle for a protracted exercise , as i mentioned it does have its uses. With that in mind i would have no hesitation in recommending the Hennessy in this instance.
  11. Ref a Gelert Travel Hammock and a Hennersey

I know which hammock I would rather live out of for a few months.

Incidently, a mate of mine had a travel hammock in kenya, slung it up next to mine at one of the airstrips by archers post, we had a load of bottles of tusker supplied by 'Michael Jackson' or 'Bobby Charlton' whoever the chogie shop blokes were.

One of the two blokes in hammocks fell out during the night and ended up covered in ants with a mouthful of sand and one didnt and had a blissfull Tusker fuelled sleep.

Hennersey all the way gentlemen!
  12. As the original poster didn't specify where and when he intends using a hammock isn't it hard to make sensible recommendations :?

Hennessey hammocks aren't very good in wind/rain and cold conditions, there are other hammocks which are much more suitable for British conditions if that's what he is after.
  13. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

I'll have to disagree, the Hennessys I've used are better than any other make in wind and rain, it all depends on the cover you're using above it and your experience in these weather conditions.

In cold however all hammocks are pretty kak unless you use a kip mat, & with the Hennessy it's just a question of folding the mat over your maggot.

Horses for courses. If you need to get away from the gnd due to bugs use a 'mick, if it's really cold most insects don't mess with your kip so set up a normal basha.