Hammock sleep system

Has anyone successfully used a hammock as a viable sleep system on ex/ops?I am convinced that being elevated off the ground would be both warmer and more comfortable(a la camp cot) than being on a rollmat etc,but a camp cot isnt exactly easy to carry as a dismounted infantry bod.Any experience/ideas/problems etc specifically with a hammock system?

Has anyone successfully used a hammock as a viable sleep system on ex/ops?I am convinced that being elevated off the ground would be both warmer and more comfortable(a la camp cot) than being on a rollmat etc,but a camp cot isnt exactly easy to carry as a dismounted infantry bod.Any experience/ideas/problems etc specifically with a hammock system?
Ok... and what happens when you get bumped on ex with your trousers down and you have a few seconds to react to a stand to order?

Very comfortable I'm sure though

Unless you're in a jungle, there is rarely any opportunity to sling a hammock between two secure points. Not exactly tactical, either...

Sleep system? John 11.35.

Fair comment, are you referring to a bugout(pack your shit and run type scenario) or a stand to provide covering fire scenario?I may be wrong as I havent done it but surely you could fire a rifle from a hammock?And if it was pack up and go could a hammock not be unclipped and stashed as quickly as taking down a basha and rolling up a rollmat?Im just trying to see if flaws could be designed out of the system.

Agreed obviously if you dont have an anchor then you cant have a hammock.As for the 'tactical' bit, if it was covered by a poncho and made of IRR material in dpm/mtp would it be less tactical than a normal setup?Im trying to determine if the problems could be overcome by design.

Fair comment, are you referring to a bugout(pack your shit and run type scenario) or a stand to provide covering fire scenario?I may be wrong as I havent done it but surely you could fire a rifle from a hammock?And if it was pack up and go could a hammock not be unclipped and stashed as quickly as taking down a basha and rolling up a rollmat?Im just trying to see if flaws could be designed out of the system.
Dear sweet Jesus. Where do we find them?

I had visions of some Wiley E Coyote spinning in nthe hammock and rounds going out like a catherine wheel.

Did make me snigger.

Cheers
Gadge

I used one successfully on Herrick- slung between vehicles in most cases. Much cooler especially during the day when resting. Not particularly practical in most cases however.
I would not bother for exercises etc, but ok for camping or if you are DS.

jpeg hammock.jpg Would this sort of setup be any more conspicuous than the current system?And would it affect accuracy that much??Sectional firepower during a contact is more about firing in the close general area of the enemy rather than pinpoint accuracy otherwise the MOD would surely spend alot less on ammunition?In any case I am only trying to highlight the flaws and see whether design might solve them.

Ok Thanks for the experienced view on things...in your opinion could it be done if a bespoke, from the ground up design was used?

Not warmer - cold air underneath and around you especialy in the areas you compress the insulation in your bag.
Have one in cammo - wouldn't want to be susspended in the air when crap and rounds are flying even if I'm in cammo
Firing weapon - See above posts
Poss good points - light , compact , quick to put up and more comfortable than sleeping on the ground , cooler in hot places , with integeral mossie net good for keeping bugs out.
As above post - good if you want to rest during day and are vehicle mounted and secure (kevlar hammocks not poss ) but very limited use on normal opps the thermal image is also an issue.
Best kept for light weight wild camping , survival and airsoft weekends.

M

Mark The Convict

I may be wrong as I havent done it but surely you could fire a rifle from a hammock?
I haven't done it either, but I'm pretty sure that it makes one look a ****. You're over-thinking this anyway, all that's needed is a Kevlar underblanket printed with the Pashto for '**** OFF, I'M SLEEPING'*. Maybe with diagrams for the hard of thinking.

*other languages are available.