Hammer and Tongs Badge

Fugly

LE
DirtyBAT
In the Tech world, you don't get it until you achieve SSgt(Artificer), after a very hard slog.

However, I have come across quite a few Juniors (VM'A' mostly) wearing it, some often LCpls.

I Have never questioned why they were wearing the badge, but (having a think about this!) what does the Artificer Vehicles course get you? If LCpls are already wearing the badge?

I was always led to believe that juniors wore the hammer and tongs to show they were Class 1 tradesmen,as a SGT has to take it off

Edited to add, if this is not making much sense,it`s late, long day, fridge full of cold tins ......

In the army in general, most trade badges are removed on promotion to Sergeant. (Ammo Techs being one exception to the rule) But the use of the Hammer & Tongs by Artificer S/Sgts to WO1 ASM's has always puzzled me since the same badge is as you say worn by Junior Rank VM's

Do Artisan S/Sgts or WO's wear the badge at all?

Will ask the AQ and Tiffy tomorrow, see if a definitive answer is forthcoming

Nice one T-A-M. nice to see the regs used to settle a matter, no need for 400 posts of opinions on this one.

Nige said:
Nice one T-A-M. nice to see the regs used to settle a matter, no need for 400 posts of opinions on this one.
Oh come on Nige...the 400 opinions would have made interesting reading!!! You always were a stickler for definitive answers to problems though weren't you??? Hope you're doing well mate...GUNS GUNS GUNS :D

Elnoddo, you need to read:

www.ams.mod.uk/ams/con...m15/s1.doc
for the orders of dress covered by the above links.
Yeah have done Nige but i couldnt see anything that contradicts this,

18. Position for wearing. Employment badges are worn on the right upper arm unless otherwise stated. They are not to be worn on greatcoats, combat clothing, tracksuits, coveralls, "T" shirts, cardigans, warehouse coats or other like clothing, with the following exceptions:
Hammer and pincer badge not listed under the exceptions.

Whilst wearing No.8 dress JSP 336 (3rd Edition) does mention that badges of rank are to be worn on the epaulette. However there is no mention of badges of appointment (which the tiffies hammer and pincer badge is).

So gents 'get them off'. :D

I would like to thank Elnoddo for bringing this to my attention. I do hope he isnt busy next week as he will be unstiching all the Hammer and Tongs i have on my rank slides.

Bullocks to JSP 336 anyways the guys that wrote it are all RLC or Civvies shining their ARRSE in Andover, what do they know? I say keep them on it make you look dead cool and all the Foot Sloggers and Planks keep asking yer what’s that for. You say, of course, it’s tells the LAD boys apart from the Bn/Regt boys, so we don’t get dicked for some bullshite pointless run around job. Then wait 20 seconds for the filling in of your life. It will make yer dead popular too.

Isnt it strange the fact that an eighteen month course qualifies you to wear something that you dont utalise on a daily basis. Maybe the pay is what attracts you Artificers, not the tools of my trade.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
nut-strangler REME 22
T REME 8
gundog REME 17