• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Hammer and Pincer

Cheers for that Nige

I had looked at the JSP but could not find the part about 'min class 2'.

So I take from that that it is a trade badge for Cpls and below and an apointment badge for Tiffys, so should not be worn by Stripeys?

Just_Another_TA said:
Cheers for that Nige

I had looked at the JSP but could not find the part about 'min class 2'.

So I take from that that it is a trade badge for Cpls and below and an apointment badge for Tiffys, so should not be worn by Stripeys?
Technically stripeys shouldn't wear them, however they do with the HCR to differentiate between LSgt & Sgt....

Nothing in cams, no qual badges are worn - everyone is 'uniform' in appearance - imagine that - no daft jumpers, stable belts and TRFs..

In mess dress, once a tradesman is fully qualified for WO2 they wear a Hammer and Pincer badge.

One of the promotion courses you do is the Artificer course (Subject 4 for WO) - 3 months long, all engineering based. You also do 3 other courses covering Logistics, military skills and education.

If you check with Arborfield you will find that shortly ONLY "SSgt Artificers" will be entitled to wear the "Hammer & Tongs", sorry to all the armourers and other black hand real trades that will no longer be entitled to wear them but hey thats life!!

Used to see the craftys who finished their basic VM courses in Bordon as class 2 walking about with them sewn onto their jerseys. Presumably they were suitably slapped about when they arrived at their first posting until the badges came off!

I know that some Hammer and Pincers badges were bought from the High St, shop in Bordon, but at what point were these badges oficially issued to a Cfn?
Was it while waiting in Admin Wing to be posted?

Here's a poser,

According to 1 set of dress regs 'ARMR SGT' is an appointment, so are we entitled to wear the said 'tongs above stripes?

Or according to other reliable sources, 'Once you reach SGT the badge drops to your right cuff'

Both sound suspect to me but all answers appreciated. I've worked to hard at trade, just for tiffys to nick a badge 'just because they're special'!!!! :meditate: Makes me and probably many of my fellow TRADESMAN a tad peeved to say the least. :frustrated:

Badges of appointment are detailed in para 11 of the link above, only Artificers wear the hammer and pincer as an appointment.

JSP 336 is clear that employment badges are worn up & including the rank of Cpl.

The fact you've worked hard at trade is shown by your promotion to Sgt. If you want to wear a hammer & pincer so badly, revert to Cpl....

Remember most Artificers are Tradesmen - you don't magically lose your skills on completion of course...

Remember most Artificers are Tradesmen - you don't magically lose your skills on completion of course...[/quote]

Are you sure???? :mrgreen:

Most of the VM's at our place (there's only 8 anyway) wear the hammer and tongs so that we're not mistaken for Air Techs :thumright:

OshkoshGuru said:
Most of the VM's at our place (there's only 8 anyway) wear the hammer and tongs so that we're not mistaken for Air Techs :thumright:
When I was with a certain Aircraft Workshop, there were no problems distinguishing VM's from Air Techs. The OC Workshop insisted that his precious AT's wear the light blue overalls instead of the olive drab worn by whom they described as the 'Steam REME" : :brilsmurf:

Only tradesmen who have been trained in the use of HAMMER and TONGS should be entitled to wear them, so while you think your entitled to wear them - re-org and think again. If youv'e not been trained as a Metalsmith then get them off your arm - coz you wouldn't know how to spark up a forge......... NUFF SAID - WANNABEES.

Tiffy's - their that short were taking all sorts of dross!! And thats a fact ! It's no wonder the Corp is struggling, why not join the AGC and sit on yer bum all day watching the soldiers struggling with JPA - what the **** are clerks going to do all day to justify their pay????????????

Mig_Mag_Tig_Tag_Arc_Gas said:
Tiffy's - their that short were taking all sorts of dross!! And thats a fact ! It's no wonder the Corp is struggling, why not join the AGC and sit on yer bum all day watching the soldiers struggling with JPA - what the **** are clerks going to do all day to justify their pay????????????
Is that all Tiffy's or newly qualified one...... :threaten: :hug:

MMTTAG:
The first military trade to use hammer and pincers were the armourers in the days of knights, so don't gob off too loudly :)

Just to show what Tiffies are for - It's spelt 'Corps' not Corp mate...

Before you get too upset, I qualified as a metalsmith in 1987 and as a Tiffy in 2000, so should I wear double Hammer and Pincers? :) ;)