Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Israel/Palestine Hamas Attack on Israel - 7 Oct 23

News reports this morning mentioning how close Israel is to securing a deal with Hamas to release a number of Hostages, but only civilians (women and children). The report then went on to say that Hamas expected the release of a number of Palestinian women and children ‘held captive’ by Israel.
I was quite surprised by this - has Israel detained Palestinian women and children and if so, was it as a result of the current campaign in Gaza or from a previous incursion?
Or is it just more made up bollaux? Genuinely interested.
We have convicted women terrorists in our jails. By children they perhaps mean minors, there's mo shortage of minors involved in terrorism.

Last edited:
Look I have to take issue with this - it really is not about "levelling" Gaza, neither is that happening, the damaged areas we tend to see on media are the areas affected by the fighting/operations.
The pressure on the government to get the hostages released is high, since it isn't just a matter of the aged, men, women, children and babies being held captive but the fact they are being held captive by people who have no problems about recording the fact that they are rapists, torturers and cold blooded murderers.
I believe most Israelis have very little faith in the current government but feel we have no choice at the moment.
Back when they held only one hostage, Gilad Shalit, it drove the Israeli public crazy - I have no idea how this is going to play out.

Perhaps a tad emotive use of language on my part, but it’s certainly what is being portrayed in the western media.

I do find myself casting my mind back 25 years ago when I met two Jewish girls hiking in Wales - we stayed in a youth hostel. An argument ensued over wine with two middle class middle aged female university lecturers who decided to take them to task over Palestine. The girls were lovely and tried to explain there is no way of dealing with people who place no value on life. The only answer was to kill them.

I’m sure you can appreciate that would they said was so profound, it’s stuck with me and what I have seen makes their position on the matter all those years ago understandable.

It’s unpalatable, but I really do wonder if any form of peace could ever be established given their sole objective is to wipe the Jewish state and Jewish people off the face of the earth.

Not her only choice of clothing though. AIUI, she's from a 'The IGRC don't like us much, which is why we've been living here since the Revolution' family background.

My point, though, is that piling on in the manner of Twitter - I think we're one stage before she starts getting death threats and Christ Church gets anonymous phone calls from people claiming that they want to blow the place up - we might want to consider alternative options unless/until it's confirmed. Time spent on recce, etc, etc.

Also, given that the one person I've been in regular direct contact with about events is a retired IAF officer who's a mate, and that I am on record (somewhere) as expressing the view that if you want a free Palestine you need a very dead Hamas, I'm not exactly going to be dying in a ditch defending the Beeb if it transpires that this is a bit of anti-semitic messaging: I'll be on here quoting the Oxford regulations under which she can be kicked out of the University....

Fair points but there's no doubt that her clothing and the octopus, used in combination, is a deliberate communication and the BBC should have stepped in - which was the original point. After all, one would expect at least someone on the University Challenge production team to be sufficiently clued up on the iconography of the Palestinian cause - though, after the moron who was completely ignorant of Bomber Command's activities, perhaps not.

I think you overcook the threat of possible reprisals - it's not as if she's supporting Israel.

Perhaps a tad emotive use of language on my part, but it’s certainly what is being portrayed in the western media.

I do find myself casting my mind back 25 years ago when I met two Jewish girls hiking in Wales - we stayed in a youth hostel. An argument ensued over wine with two middle class middle aged female university lecturers who decided to take them to task over Palestine. The girls were lovely and tried to explain there is no way of dealing with people who place no value on life. The only answer was to kill them.

I’m sure you can appreciate that would they said was so profound, it’s stuck with me and what I have seen makes their position on the matter all those years ago understandable.

It’s unpalatable, but I really do wonder if any form of peace could ever be established given their sole objective is to wipe the Jewish state and Jewish people off the face of the earth.
Thanks for this, it's food for thought. I have no problem with the elimination of an enemy that places no value on human life. The problem is that although that enemy is the "Palestinians", not all "Palestinians" are really like that, even if it is an established theme of their culture (like in the case of "honour killings").
There are Arabs here that look, walk, talk and do like terrorists, but there are also Arabs here that look, walk, talk like Arabs but do not do like terrorists, nor even support terrorism (like, just for example, the guy who volunteered with victim identification that I posted last night). They are absolutely not the enemy.
This all serves to illustrate how complex the whole ruddy situation is.

Last edited:
Fair points but there's no doubt that her clothing and the octopus, used in combination, is a deliberate communication and the BBC should have stepped in - which was the original point. After all, one would expect at least someone on the University Challenge production team to be sufficiently clued up on the iconography of the Palestinian cause - though, after the moron who was completely ignorant of Bomber Command's activities, perhaps not.

I think you overcook the threat of possible reprisals - it's not as if she's supporting Israel.

Oh, you'd be surprised. I can think of at least two instances where criticism of Israel (at Oxford) led to threats. There were (and still are) some strange dynamics at work.

Given how we used to have instances where programmes weren't shown and a case where Radio 1 didn't play Phil Collins' 'In the Air Tonight' lest people think it was some subliminal BBC messaging for the Desert Storm air campaign, it would appear that the BBC team that used to check for anything that might be misinterpreted in the context of ongoing events is no longer with us...

(By the by, if her top didn't have green in it, it'd be in Christ Church's scarf colours [brown, black, white and an orangey-brownish red])

I was assuming that the rockets are now coming from the West Bank rather than Gaza, is this the case or are there still any rockets coming from Gaza?
Its unlikely that the rockets are coming from the West Bank. Due to PLO permission, Israel has a higher presence in the West Bank and therefore would more easily be able to announce if anything of the sort is occurring, and it would also be stamped out pretty damn fast. Not to mention that Hamas would not be able to perform a rocket barrage of this level from the West Bank and PLO forces shoot Hamas fighters on sight

Well that's nice. Welcome to our country now 'scuse us while we rip into yours.

FFS, give me strength:

Needless to say, nothing about hostages or 7 October. "I feel betrayed as a Palestinian, as a Muslim, as an Arab. I really feel betrayed." But not betrayed as an Australian?

With all the money that flowed into the place , the Palestinians could have been living in another Nice or Singapore .
Instead , they let themselves be hijacked by HAMAS and now they live in Ground Zero .

Then again , I forgot , they dump rubbish everywhere , have no concept of the terms " Planning " or " Building Control " and think " Education " means putting on plays for 8 year olds where the kids pretend to take Israeli hostages .